Calculate elasticity of collision from kinetic energy loss?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Sewager
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


After a lot of searching I can't seem to find a way to solve this. Basically, for a bouncing ball, if I know the dropped height and rebound height in a vacuum. How do I calculate the elasticity between the ball and the floor?

Homework Equations


K = 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution


I did a lot of searching online...but I still have no idea. I tried to calculate kinetic energy loss, but what's after that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
That doesn't define elasticity. You need a definition to have any hope of answering the question.
The concept of a coefficient of elasticity arises in many diverse subjects. In collisions, the more usual term is the coefficient of restitution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution. See if that helps.
Ah, this is exactly what I m looking for, thank you so much!