Calculate electric current in a resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the electric current in a 20 ohm resistor. The suggestion is to first calculate the voltage and then use the current divider concept to find the current in the resistor. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding series and parallel elements, as well as the usefulness of current and voltage dividers in solving problems. Finally, the calculation of the parallel resistance and the current divider formula are mentioned as possible starting points for solving the problem.
nowayn

Homework Statement

fysik_zpsf8f86f41.png

calculate the electric current in the 20 ohm resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, but i thought maybe you should calculate the voltage first and then the voltage over the 20 ohm resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
nowayn said:

Homework Statement

fysik_zpsf8f86f41.png

calculate the electric current in the 20 ohm resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, but i thought maybe you should calculate the voltage first and then the voltage over the 20 ohm resistor.
You know the current through the parallel pair of resistors. How do you get from there to the current through the 20ohm resistor. You don't need voltage.

phinds said:
You know the current through the parallel pair of resistors.
wait so is the current there also 0,3A?

nowayn said:
wait so is the current there also 0,3A?
Do you understand the concepts of series elements and parallel elements? If you are not clear on that then you need to GET clear on it before trying ANY problems of this sort, else you will be perpetually confused.

Investigate the topic: current divider.

The current divider and the voltage divider are two concepts that you will find to be very handy to know about.

You don't know where to start ? Start of by calculating the parallel resistance between 20ohm and 30ohm resistor, then maybe something will click off in your mind.

1/20=0,05
1/30=0,0333
0,08333/0,05=0,6
resistor with 20ohms will get 60% of the current
0,3*0,6=0,18

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and represents the rate at which electric charge passes through a given point in a circuit.

How do you calculate electric current in a resistor?

To calculate electric current in a resistor, you can use Ohm's law which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

What factors affect the electric current in a resistor?

The electric current in a resistor is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. The higher the voltage or the lower the resistance, the higher the current will be. The temperature can also affect the resistance and therefore, the current.

How does the length and thickness of a resistor affect the electric current?

The length and thickness of a resistor can affect the electric current by changing the resistance. A longer resistor will have a higher resistance, resulting in a lower current. A thicker resistor will have a lower resistance, resulting in a higher current.

What is the relationship between electric current and power in a resistor?

The relationship between electric current and power in a resistor is given by the equation P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This means that as the current increases, the power dissipated by the resistor also increases. Additionally, a higher resistance will result in a higher power dissipation for the same current.