Calculate electromagnetic momentum given a solenoid and point charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bhumble
Messages
153
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A point charge q is a distance a > R from the axis of an infinite solenoid (radius R, n turns per unit length, current I). Find the linear momentum and the angular momentum in the fields. (Put q on the x axis, with the solenoid along z; treat the solenoid as a nonconductor, so that you don’t need to worry about the induced charges on its surface).
[Answer: [tex]\vec{p_{em}} = \frac{\mu_0 q n I R^2}{2a} and \vec{L_{em}} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]\vec{\rho_{em}} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So I know that I'm suppose to get the linear momentum density and then integrate over surface area to get the momentum.
And for linear momentum density I just take r X (E x B) then integrate over the surface area.
I have [tex]B(s>R) = 0 and B(s<R) = \mu_0 n I \hat{z}[/tex]
The problem I'm having is setting up the electric field.
I know that it is [tex]\vec{E} = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]

r^2 = (x-a)^2 + y^2 + z^2 and since there is translational invariance along [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] I just dropped it altogether. But for [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] I'm unsure how to define it so that I can get a cross product. I was thinking that it should be equal to [tex]r cos \theta + r sin \theta[/tex] then take A X B = ABcos[tex]\theta[/tex] but since cross product is not distributive I'm just unsure.
I'm very confused about how to approach the geometry of the situation and this is not the first time this has been an issue for me. Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You say that the charge is at a position a > R from the axis of the solenoid, so it is outside the solenoid where the magnetic field is zero. Won't your cross products involving B be zero magnitude too?
 
For the portion outside the solenoid they will but there is still an electric and magnetic field inside the solenoid. But the electric field is still present inside the solenoid since the problem states it is a non-conductor.
 
Ah. So the charge is expressing its field inside the solenoid where there is a B field. Got it.