Calculate energy lost to a rough surface

In summary, a 2kg block moving at 2.68 m/s slides across a 3m rough surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .4. The energy lost to the rough surface is 24 Joules, which is equal to the block's initial kinetic energy, causing it to come to a stop.
Toliver96

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2kg, moving at velocity 2.68 m/s, slides across a rough 3m surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .4. Calculate the energy lost to the 3m rough surface.
M=2kg
uK=.4
V=2.68 m/s
D=3m

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2
uK*Fn*D

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinetic energy equation of 1/2mv^2 to get 7.18J. Then I did uK*Fn*D to get 24J, where Fn is normal force and Gravity = 10m/s^2. I have no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Toliver96 said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2kg, moving at velocity 2.68 m/s, slides across a rough 3m surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .4. Calculate the energy lost to the 3m rough surface.
M=2kg
uK=.4
V=2.68 m/s
D=3m

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2
uK*Fn*D

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinetic energy equation of 1/2mv^2 to get 7.18J. Then I did uK*Fn*D to get 24J, where Fn is normal force and Gravity = 10m/s^2. I have no idea where to go from here.
What does that 24 J represent ?

It is supposed to be Jules, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Toliver96 said:
It is supposed to be Jules, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

The units are Joules, but what does the 24 Joules represent?

The energy lost to the rough surface, but how can it lose more energy than what it has?

Toliver96 said:
The energy lost to the rough surface, but how can it lose more energy than what it has?
What happens to the block when the energy lost is equal to the initial Kinetic Energy ?

So the block will stop then, right?

Toliver96 said:
So the block will stop then, right?

Right.

1. How do you calculate energy lost to a rough surface?

The energy lost to a rough surface can be calculated by using the formula:
E = F × d, where E is the energy lost, F is the frictional force, and d is the distance traveled by the object.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy lost to a rough surface?

The amount of energy lost to a rough surface is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the weight and speed of the object, and the type of material the object is made of.

3. Can friction be reduced to decrease the energy lost to a rough surface?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surface smoother, thus decreasing the amount of energy lost to a rough surface.

4. Why is it important to calculate energy lost to a rough surface?

Calculating the energy lost to a rough surface is important in understanding the efficiency of a system. It can also help in designing more efficient systems and reducing energy waste.

5. How does the angle of the rough surface affect the energy lost?

The angle of the rough surface can affect the energy lost by changing the direction and magnitude of the frictional force. A steeper angle may result in more energy lost compared to a shallower angle.