1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate forces on beam with hook

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    Calculate forces on beam with "hook"

I have a beam which looks roughly like the attached file. The aim is to calculate forces in A and B. Would I have to look at AB and CDE independently, or could I proceed as "usual" by calculating the moment in A and proceed with forces calculation in x and y direction?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    Re: Calculate forces on beam with "hook"

You could proceed "as usual". The entire system must be in equilibrium, subsystems may not and typically will not be in equilibrium per se.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3

I've done the forces and moment calculations on the beam, but I'm a bit unsure if it's done correctly. Every force is working on the center lines according to the figure, so I might be missing something here. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at my calculations and perhaps give some input.
    A better figure showing all the measurements is attached.

ƩMA= 0 → B*6,3+F*sin 44,4*3,6 =0 (direction: counter clockwise.)
    B*6,3+19,5*sin 44,4*3,6 =0
    B= -7,796 kN

ƩFx=0 → Ax-F*cos44,4=0
    Ax-19,5*cos 44,4=0
    Ax-13,932=0
    Ax= 13,932kN

ƩFy=0 → Ay+B-F*sin44,4=0
    Ay+7,796-19,5*sin 44,4=0
    Ay-5,847=0
    Ay= 5,847

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

How did you get "3.6" in ƩMA= 0 → B*6,3+F*sin 44,4*3,6 =0? The distance from A to E is not 3.6.

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

That's one of the things where I'm not sure if it's done correctly, but what I did was add 2,2 and 1,4. I suppose the height has to come into play somewhere, but I'm not sure how. Up until now I've only been doing calculations on regular beams without any sort of "protrusion".(Sorry, I don't know the correct English term for a beam like this.)

7. Feb 17, 2013 #6

The moment of a force is the product of the "lever arm", the force's magnitude, and the sine of the angle between the lever arm and the force. The lever arm is the distance from the point around which the moment is taken to the point of the force's application. In this case, the lever arm is AE. You need to find its length and the angle between AE and the force.

Alternatively, the moment is defined as a vectorial product of the lever arm and the force, which allows you to get around without computing angles and lengths.

You can use either method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook