Equivalent system (force+couple moment) of a loaded beam

In summary: Hence I got a total moment and a total resultant force. In order to get to the equivalent system I shifted the force to point O and defined a couple moment equal to the resultant torque acting on the beam(two loadings+given moment+torque caused by the given force)
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Replace the loading by an equivalent force and couple moment acting at point O(drawing attached below)
Relevant Equations
Torque=r x F (vectorial)
load.png
Hi guys,

I don't really know how to cope with this problem, maybe just because I can't properly understand the data.
In the figure we have a beam with its loading(plus a force of 15kN), a pivot O and support at the rightmost point.
I would say that in order to find the equivalent system, I must find the resultant force(by taking the integral of the wing load function over the beam lentgth) on the beam and its point of application, so that I can calculate the torque it produces and add it to the already present 500kNm(so I be able to move the force to point O).
The problem is I don't know how to interpret the function of the beam load. In the drawing it says 6kN/m, but in which way? Does it only apply until x=7.5m, or how would you interpret it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a distributed load that peaks at 6 kN/m at 7.5 m, and decreases linearly to zero at either side of the peak. Do you know how to deal with distributed loads?

Chestermiller said:
You have a distributed load that peaks at 6 kN/m at 7.5 m, and decreases linearly to zero at either side of the peak. Do you know how to deal with distributed loads?
uhmm, so it means that from x=0 up to x=7.5m, my "load function" would be ##f(x)=(6k\frac{N}{m})x##, before it starts decreasing linearly

greg_rack said:
uhmm, so it means that from x=0 up to x=7.5m, my "load function" would be ##f(x)=(6k\frac{N}{m})x##, before it starts decreasing linearly
If the load density is ##f(x)=(6\frac{kN}{m})x##, what is its value at x=7.5m? You need that to be 6kN/m.

greg_rack said:
The load between x and x +dx in this region would be ##6\times\frac{x}{7.5}dx##

Likes greg_rack
Chestermiller said:
The load between x and x +dx in this region would be ##6\times\frac{x}{7.5}dx##
And why? Actually I don't think I can deal with distributed loads yet. I interpreted the problem in a different way... tomorrow I'll try to grasp more about this topic and let you know if the problem gets clearer!

greg_rack said:
And why? Actually I don't think I can deal with distributed loads yet. I interpreted the problem in a different way... tomorrow I'll try to grasp more about this topic and let you know if the problem gets clearer!
View it as a graph of y against x. At x=0, y=0; at x=7.5(m), y=6(kN/m). What is the equation for y?

Likes greg_rack and Chestermiller
Alright, I made a few steps backwards and managed to get to an answer(even if probably not by taking the shortest path): I found the ##w(x)## function first from 0 to 7.5m, then from 7.5m to 12m and integrated it along the length of the beam to find the two resultant forces.
Finally I calculated the points on the beam's surface from where pass the lines of action(centroids of the two triangles) of the two forces, to get the two torques in order to find the equivalent couple moment

greg_rack said:
Alright, I made a few steps backwards and managed to get to an answer(even if probably not by taking the shortest path): I found the ##w(x)## function first from 0 to 7.5m, then from 7.5m to 12m and integrated it along the length of the beam to find the two resultant forces.
Finally I calculated the points on the beam's surface from where pass the lines of action(centroids of the two triangles) of the two forces, to get the two torques in order to find the equivalent couple moment
Sounds ok. What answers did you get?

haruspex said:
Sounds ok. What answers did you get
Hence I got a total moment and a total resultant force. In order to get to the equivalent system I shifted the force to point O and defined a couple moment equal to the resultant torque acting on the beam(two loadings+given moment+torque caused by the given force)

1. What is an equivalent system of a loaded beam?

An equivalent system of a loaded beam is a simplified representation of the original loaded beam, where the external forces and moments acting on the beam are replaced by a single force and a single couple moment, respectively. This equivalent system produces the same external effects on the beam as the original system.

2. Why is it important to find the equivalent system of a loaded beam?

It is important to find the equivalent system of a loaded beam because it simplifies the analysis of the beam and makes it easier to determine its overall behavior and response to external forces. This can save time and effort in the design process and ensure the structural integrity of the beam.

3. How is the equivalent force of a loaded beam calculated?

The equivalent force of a loaded beam is calculated by summing all the external forces acting on the beam and finding the resultant force. This resultant force is then placed at a specific location along the beam to create an equivalent system that produces the same external effects as the original system.

4. What is the difference between a force and a couple moment in an equivalent system?

A force is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a couple moment is a vector quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. In an equivalent system, a force represents the combined effect of all external forces acting on the beam, while a couple moment represents the combined effect of all external moments acting on the beam.

5. Can the equivalent system of a loaded beam be used for any type of loading?

Yes, the equivalent system of a loaded beam can be used for any type of loading, including point loads, distributed loads, and concentrated moments. It is a general method for simplifying the analysis of loaded beams and can be applied to various loading scenarios.