1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Friction Force + Coefficient

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force of 30 N accelerates a 5.0-kg block at 5.0 m/s2 along a horizontal surface.

How large is the frictional force?
    (b) What is the coefficient of friction?

2. Relevant equations

I am not relly sure of the equations used..

3. The attempt at a solution

Well first i calculated the F Net which would be the mass * 9.8 in this case it was 5.0kg * 9.8 which is 49N, then i did 30N/49N which was .6122 apparently that is the the coefficient, and calculating (a) I have no idea

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the things you know?

->The normal force is mg=49N.
    ->The friction force is the coefficient of friction times the normal force, [itex]49\mu[/itex].
    ->From Newton's second law, m*a=30 - force of friction.

Can you solve the problem with this information?

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    So with 49N I would subract 30
    49N-30N=19N
    The force of friction would be 19N?

Then for the coefficient it would be 19/49? ~.3877?

Apparently I am still doing something wrong,

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't ignore the fact that the block is accelerating! F=ma ! The force on the block is the Pulling force minus the friction force. ma is 5kg * 5m/s^2.

On a different note, did you have some sort of external confirmation that the coefficient of friction is .6122? I do not get the same answer.

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5
    well since this is a webassign and we have 50 chances to submit the correct answer, i been trying but somehow still hasnt turned up with the correct value.

Would you have to consider the acceleration when calulating the friction force? I thought it was extra information

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must use F = ma. F = Pulling force - friction force. ma = 5kg * 5m/s^2. There is no other way to find the force of friction.

The only other information you have is that normal force = 49N, and friction force = coefficient of friction * 49N. This information alone cannot determine the force of friction or the coefficient of friction.

8. Oct 13, 2008 #7
    So your saying this problem cannot be solved?
    doesnt seem likely

9. Oct 13, 2008 #8

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem can be solved. As I have said before, you have to use F = ma = Pulling force - Friction force. You know m, you know a, you know the pulling force, and you don't know the friction force. One equation, one unknown, can be solved.

Friction force = Pulling force - ma.

10. Oct 13, 2008 #9
    hmm
    49N is the Force
    ma = 25N
    so 49N-25N=24N

so the friction force should be 24N but it is saying it is wrong

11. Oct 13, 2008 #10

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As stated in the problem, the pulling force is 30N. 49N is the weight / normal force.

12. Oct 13, 2008 #11
    now i got it, the friciton force = 5N which was the pulling force =30N - (mass5 * acceleration5)
    =30 -25 so it is 5N

now to find the coefficient of friction

13. Oct 13, 2008 #12

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does the force of friction relate to the normal force? What is the value of the normal force?

14. Oct 13, 2008 #13
    O i see, its more clearer when someone else tells it
    so the 5N/49N making it .102
    Resolved!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?