Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate how the rate of oxygenation

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    Hi
    I am trying to get some idea of how to calculate how the rate of oxygenation of a liquid (say wine) changes with increases in both surface area and turbulence, which increases the suraface area.

Any idea of how I might calculate this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Drew

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know of any direct applications to this specific topic, however, have you considered Henry's law? Also have you tried looking through Atkins yet, particularly in the chemical equilibrium chapters, you might want to browse through the area where he discusses activity. It's kind of interesting to consider what the effects of turbulence (if you're referring to centrifugal dynamics) will have on the oxygen that's dissolved. It probably has a lot to do with the changes in the intermolecular interactions in the turbulent state v.s. the relatively static state. You might also want to ask this question in one of the physics subforums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?