Calculate Jones Vector of polarized light thorugh QWP

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mhsd91
Messages
22
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Find the final polarization in terms of Jones vectors for vertical polarized, coherent light passing through a quarter waveplate rotated [itex]\theta = \pi/4[/itex]. The Jones matrix for the rotated waveplate is given as,

[itex]J_Q = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot <br /> \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 + i\cos(2\theta) & i\sin(2\theta) \\<br /> i\sin(2\theta) & 1-i\cos(2\theta) \end{array} \right)<br /> [/itex]

Which for the given angle results in:

[itex] <br /> J_Q = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot <br /> \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & i \\<br /> i & 1 \end{array} \right)[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



Now, this should be straight forward: [itex]J' = J_Q J_{VLP}[/itex]:

[itex] <br /> J' = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \cdot <br /> \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & i \\<br /> i & 1 \end{array} \right) \cdot<br /> <br /> \left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> 0 \\<br /> 1 \end{array} \right)<br /> <br /> <br /> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> i \\<br /> 1 \end{array} \right)<br /> <br /> [/itex]

The problem is that I am given the answer, which is not what i got, but rather:

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> 1 \\<br /> i \end{array} \right)[/itex]

So I wonder: One of three possible outcomes: (1) since Jones vectors gived us the phase difference are these two vectors equivalent!?

[itex] \left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> 1 \\<br /> i \end{array} \right)<br /> <br /> \equiv<br /> <br /> \left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> i \\<br /> 1 \end{array} \right)<br /> [/itex]
.. overlooking the normalization constants.

(2) I have calculated wrong: please help!
(3) There is an error in the answer the problem.

Thank you very much!:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your problem may come from some ambiguity as to what the plate was like before rotating. I get

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \begin{array}{c}<br /> 1 \\<br /> i \end{array} \right)[/itex]

When I consider the fast axis of the quarter wave plate to be in the vertical direction before rotation.

I get your answer when I consider the quarter wave plate before rotation to have the fast axis horizontal.

And no, they do not represent the same polarization. They do not differ by a phase.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person