Calculate kw from positve and negative energy totals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
FusionE&I
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi can anyone tell me if I had the following readings how could I calculate kw or kwh. The readings were taken from an electricity meter which logged the values every 15 minutes and the values below are what were recorded in the first 15 minute period;

A+ Energy Total = 3920Wh
A- Energy Total = 3480Wh

Q+ Energy Total = 248560varh
Q- Energy Total = 2920varh

S+ Energy Total = 3920Wh
S- Energy Total = 7440Wh

Really what I need to figure out is how do you get the absolute values based on the positive and negative values.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi just realized I posted the wrong figures. They should be;

A+ Energy Total = 3920Wh
A- Energy Total = 3480Wh

Q+ Energy Total = 3960varh
Q- Energy Total = 2920varh

S+ Energy Total = 3920Wh
S- Energy Total = 7440Wh
 
Welcome to PF. Could you explain in a little more detail what the + and - are? AC power isn't typically expressed that way. If it's the positive and negative rms power (the area under the power curve on the positive and negative sides of the sine wave), then I would think you just add the two values together.
 
My problem is I don't know what the + and - are.

I think as the values have h after them they are hour values, but as the values are recorded every 15 minutes I am not sure what to do with them.
Also I believe the values A,Q and S make up the power triangle but I can't get the equation to balance if you square them.

I have tried adding them and squaring them but I still can't get it to balance.

Can anyone shed any light?