Calculate lift from pressure distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of lift and force on an airfoil based on pressure distribution. The pressure distribution, surface area, and surface orientation are all needed to calculate the forces. The shape and inclination of the airfoil are relevant factors in creating the pressure distribution, but are not necessary for the calculation. The surface orientation refers to the direction of the surface at a particular point, and is usually specified by the normal vector. The calculation of force can be simplified by assuming all pressures act vertically, and the angle dependence cancels out. Additional resources for learning about this topic are provided.
Jurgen M
pressure.jpg.jpg

v=50m/s
βˆ†Pg= -981Pa
βˆ†π‘π‘‘ =490Pa
c=1m
𝜌 = 1,225 kg m3

1639064750633.png

1639064783205.png

𝐹3 = ∫ βˆ†π‘3 βˆ™ 1 βˆ™ 𝑑π‘₯ 𝑐 2 0 = βˆ†π‘π‘” ∫ 2βˆ†π‘π‘‘ 𝑐 π‘₯𝑑π‘₯ 𝑐 2 0 = 2βˆ†π‘π‘‘ 𝑐 βˆ™ ( π‘₯ 2 2 ) c⁄2 | 0 = 2βˆ†π‘π‘‘ 𝑐 βˆ™ 𝑐 2 4 βˆ™ 2 = βˆ†π‘π‘‘ βˆ™ 𝑐 4 = 490,5 βˆ™ 1 4 = 122,625 N
1639064840735.png
1639064860067.png

Lift per unit of span = (F1) + (F2) +F3 + F4= 490.5+245.25+122,25+122,625=981N :confused:
Pressure push at all surfaces on airfoil,just push with less force on upper surface then lower surface, so F1 and F2 must has opposite direction than F3 ,F4.. so why they sum all forces with absolute values like pressure at upper surface pulling...?? pressure can not pull,only push :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dont understand final lift math and force orientation..

Attachments

• 1639064827946.png
    1639064827946.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 1639064695357.png
    1639064695357.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 1639064510074.png
    1639064510074.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a pressure, but a ##\Delta p##, which is the pressure minus some baseline pressure. That can be negative.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
It's not a pressure, but a ##\Delta p##, which is the pressure minus some baseline pressure. That can be negative.
If I know pressure distribution around airfoil, then geometry/shape/inclination of airfoil isn't necessary/relevant for calculate lift/drag?

Jurgen M said:
If I know pressure distribution around airfoil, then geometry/shape/inclination of airfoil isn't necessary/relevant for calculate lift/drag?
The shape is relevant since it created the pressure distribution, but it is no longer necessary because the pressure distribution gives us all we need to know about the shape.
CORRECTION EDIT: The pressure distribution, surface area, and surface orientation are all needed to calculate the forces.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
The shape is relevant since it created the pressure distribution, but it is no longer necessary because the pressure distribution gives us all we need to know about the shape.
Same pressure distribution can have different airfoil shapes or inclination,so we don't know what is airfoil shape/angle from only pressure distribution.
Can you post some courses or videos or articles with examples of this lift calculation where I can learn better this topic?

Jurgen M said:
Same pressure distribution can have different airfoil shapes or inclination,so we don't know what is airfoil shape/angle from only pressure distribution.
Can you post some courses or videos or articles with examples of this lift calculation where I can learn better this topic?
I stand corrected. The pressure distribution, surface area, and surface orientation are all needed to calculate the forces.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
I stand corrected. The pressure distribution, surface area, and surface orientation are all needed to calculate the forces.
What is surface orientation?

Jurgen M said:
What is surface orientation?
It is the direction the surface is tilted toward at that (infinitesimal) position. It is usually specified by the direction of the vector normal to the surface at that point. That normal vector is handy in cases like this because it is the direction of the force due to the pressure, ignoring the surface drag.

Likes russ_watters
pressure.jpg.jpg
calculate F3 from average pressure..

1639158815524.png

1639158688194.png

or with integral

1639158734251.png

1639158757049.png
Why they calculate F3 like pressure distribution "triangle" act at bottom airfoil surface from 0 to C/2?
If I see there is no pressure distribution at bottom surface from 0 to X, pressure distribution is drawn from X to C/2

Jurgen M said:
Why they calculate F3 like pressure distribution "triangle" act at bottom airfoil surface from 0 to C/2?
If I see there is no pressure distribution at bottom surface from 0 to X, pressure distribution is drawn from X to C/2
Since there are no surface angles provided, it looks to me like all of the pressures are vertical components only (simplified problem). So while there are certainly positive pressures on the airfoil from 0-X, the orientation of the airfoil surface makes the vertical component negligible.

russ_watters said:
Since there are no surface angles provided, it looks to me like all of the pressures are vertical components only (simplified problem). So while there are certainly positive pressures on the airfoil from 0-X, the orientation of the airfoil surface makes the vertical component negligible.
The pressure plot is based at the zero line not the lower wing surface, I made mistake because I look at surface..

What surface angle you mean?

You don't need the surface angle. You can just assume it's all acting perpendicular but acting on the projected area rather than the true area. Sure, the actual pressure force acts along the surface normal, but the vertical component is the same proportion of the total force as the projected horizontal area is of the total area, so all the angle dependence cancels out. For the calculation, you can just treat all of those as if they're acting vertically on a flat horizontal plate and you'll get the correct answer.

Likes Astronuc, FactChecker and russ_watters
Jurgen M said:
Consider that for same airfoil, the patterns of pressure distribution will change as AOA changes.
Also, high pressure differentials can’t be sustained close to the wing tips because some mass of air will naturally flow span-wise from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure.

Please, see:
https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/velocitydistributions.htm

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1385606&d=1375503690

πŸ™‚

1. How do you calculate lift from pressure distribution?

To calculate lift from pressure distribution, you first need to obtain the pressure distribution data from your experiments or simulations. Then, you can use the equation L = ∫PdA to integrate the pressure distribution over the surface area of the object. This will give you the total lift force acting on the object.

2. What is the relationship between pressure distribution and lift?

The pressure distribution over the surface of an object is directly related to the lift force acting on that object. The higher the pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces of the object, the greater the lift force will be.

3. Can you calculate lift from pressure distribution for any object?

Yes, the equation L = ∫PdA can be used to calculate lift from pressure distribution for any object, as long as the pressure distribution data is available.

4. How accurate is the calculation of lift from pressure distribution?

The accuracy of the calculation of lift from pressure distribution depends on the accuracy of the pressure distribution data and the integration method used. Generally, the calculation can be quite accurate if the data is obtained from precise experiments or simulations and the integration is done carefully.

5. What are the applications of calculating lift from pressure distribution?

The calculation of lift from pressure distribution is important in the design and analysis of various objects, such as aircraft wings, wind turbines, and hydrofoils. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. Additionally, it can be applied in the optimization of objects for maximum lift or minimum drag.