Velocity field from pressure distribution of a flow

In summary, the speaker has used the finite difference method to calculate the pressure distribution over a 2D porous material and now wants to determine the velocity field or streamlines using the pressure values on each node of the grid. They are seeking help on how to do this and mention the use of the Navier Stokes equations and a Poisson equation to relate pressure and velocity. They also ask for examples on the internet for this type of calculation.
hermano
Hi,

I have calculated the pressure distribution over a 2D porous material with the finite difference method. However, now I want to calculate the velocity field or streamlines of the air flowing through this porous material from my pressure distribution. I have thus the pressure value on each node of the grid. How can I do this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By taking the divergence of the Navier Stokes equations you obtain a Poisson equation that relates the pressure and the velocity at every point in the domain. So if you know the pressure everywhere you can solve this equation for the velocity at every point.

Thanks for your answer!

Do you know where I can find some examples on the internet of this? Mostly I find pressure calculations from velocity boundary conditions with the pressure poisson equation but not conversely.

Thanks

1. What is a velocity field?

A velocity field is a physical representation of the velocity of a fluid at every point in a given space. It is typically represented as a vector field, with each vector indicating the magnitude and direction of the fluid's velocity at a specific point.

2. How is a velocity field calculated from a pressure distribution?

A velocity field can be calculated from a pressure distribution using the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the relationship between pressure, velocity, and other fluid properties. By solving these equations, the velocity field can be determined at every point in the fluid.

3. What is the significance of the velocity field in fluid mechanics?

The velocity field is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics and is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids. It provides important information about the movement and flow patterns of a fluid, and is used in many applications, such as in designing aircraft and analyzing weather patterns.

4. How is a velocity field visualized?

A velocity field can be visualized through various techniques, such as using streamlines, which show the path of fluid particles, or using colored vector plots, which represent the magnitude and direction of the velocity at each point. Other methods include using computer simulations and physical models.

5. Can a velocity field change over time?

Yes, a velocity field can change over time. This is because the velocity of a fluid can be influenced by many factors, such as changes in pressure, temperature, or external forces. In certain systems, the velocity field may also exhibit chaotic behavior, making it difficult to predict or analyze over time.