Calculate Magnitude of Torque for Flywheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter sealedhuman77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnitude Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sealedhuman77
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Massive spinning flywheels (disks) can be used for storing energy. Consider a flywheel with a diameter of 1.10 m and a mass of 510 kg. A constant force of magnitude F is applied tangentially to the rim of the flywheel to accelerate it from rest to 4.00 x 103 rev/min during 2.85 min.

(b) What magnitude of torque is necessary to cause this angular acceleration?

Homework Equations



I = mR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I = mR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = (510kg)[tex]\ast[/tex](.55m)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 154.275 kgm[tex]^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = (154.275kgm[tex]^{2}[/tex])\ast(2.449rad/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = 377.819 Nm

The answer was incorrect. Also the angular acceleration was derived from part a and is the correct number. Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the Tau and Alpha symbols are not suppose to be superscripts. i screwed up the tex