Calculate Magnitude of Work from 0.22 Lawnmower Engine in 1 Second

  • Thread starter Thread starter bulbasaur88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engines
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
bulbasaur88
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
A lawnmower engine with an efficiency of 0.22 rejects 9900 J of heat every second. What is the magnitude of the work that the engine does in one second?

e = 0.22
Qc = 9900 J/s

e = W/Qh
Qh = Qc + W

e = W / Qc + W
0.22 = W / 9900 + W
0.22(9900 + W) = W
2178 + 0.22W = W
W = 2792.31 J/s?

I checked my answer on cramster.com but they have something different, but I believe my answer to be right. Can anybody verify if I am doing this correctly or not? Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
A lawnmower engine with an efficiency of 0.22 rejects 9900 J of heat every second. What is the magnitude of the work that the engine does in one second?

e = 0.22
Qc = 9900 J/s

e = W/Qh
Qh = Qc + W

e = W / Qc + W
0.22 = W / 9900 + W
0.22(9900 + W) = W
2178 + 0.22W = W
W = 2792.31 J/s?

I checked my answer on cramster.com but they have something different, but I believe my answer to be right. Can anybody verify if I am doing this correctly or not? Thank you.
Your answer should be expressed in the correct number of significant figures. You may want to simplify your answer algebraically before plugging in the numbers:

Qh = Qc/(1-e)

W = eQh = e(Qc/(1-e))

Also, you have to put your answer for W in the correct units. J/s is a unit of power.

AM