How to Calculate (mu_s - mu_k) for M1 on a Horizontal Surface?

• Thread starter bulldog23
  • Start date
In summary: When the block is on the verge of accelerating, the mass on the left is increasing and the mass on the right is decreasing. This causes the normal force to be zero.
bulldog23

Homework Statement

M1 has a mass of 6.510 kg. It is on a horizontal surface, connected by a light string to a hook. Mass M2 can be increased smoothly by adding masses little at a time.
The pulley has a negligible mass and no friction. When M2 is 3.281 kg it begins to accelerate downwards at a rate of 2.241 m/s2. Calculate (mu_s -mu_ k) for M1 on the surface.
prob71_upmasspulley.gif

Homework Equations

mu_s=(f_s)max/n

mu_k=f_k/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am unsure how to go about this problem. If someone could please guide me through it that would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram for each box/crate to see where the forces are acting.

I did that. For M1 there is mg going down, a friction force to the left, normal force upwards, and tension to the right. For M2, there is mg going down, and tension going up.

Right, and you know that mu_s and mu_k are related by the equation F(friction)=mu*(F(normal))
and because this is a frictionless, massless pulley we are able to relate the tensions of the two boxes.

how do you calculate the normal force and friction force?

normal force for M1 should just equal 6.510kg x 2.241 m/s^2, right?

Help...anyone?

bulldog23 said:
normal force for M1 should just equal 6.510kg x 2.241 m/s^2, right?
No. The mass M1 is not falling through the table, is it? What force is keeping that from happening?

See we cannot give you the answers.

But we can surely help you.

Now you will have to consider two cases.

1) Where the block is on the verge on accelerating.

2) When it starts accelerating.

You will have to consider the frictional forces, tension in the string and the weights of the blocks and of course muk and mus.

I'm studying for my final and I'm having trouble solving this as well...here is my work:

T_1 - u_s(m_1)g = m_1(a) = 0 (This equals zero because a = 0 when static)

T_2 = m_2(g)

T_1 = T_2

so

m_2(g) - u_s(m_1)g = 0

and static friction is:

f_s = u_s(m_?)(g)

I'm not given the m_1 when the object is at rest so how could I calculate both m_1 and u_s?

Ok...why is u_s= m_2/m_1

FAQ: How to Calculate (mu_s - mu_k) for M1 on a Horizontal Surface?

1. What is the formula for calculating (mu_s-mu_k)?

The formula for calculating (mu_s-mu_k) is: (mu_s-mu_k) = coefficient of static friction (mu_s) - coefficient of kinetic friction (mu_k).

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion.

3. How do I determine the coefficient of static and kinetic friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of static and kinetic friction can be determined by conducting an experiment where an object is gradually pushed or pulled across a surface, measuring the force required to start and maintain motion. The ratio of these forces is equal to the coefficient of friction.

4. What factors can affect the value of (mu_s-mu_k)?

The value of (mu_s-mu_k) can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, factors such as temperature and surface roughness can also impact the coefficient of friction.

5. Why is calculating (mu_s-mu_k) important in science?

Calculating (mu_s-mu_k) is important in science because it helps us understand the forces at play when objects are in motion. It is also essential in engineering applications, such as designing structures and machines, as it allows us to predict and control the movement of objects on different surfaces.