1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate New Power when adding a Resistor

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    As this is my first post please feel free to correct me if I am posting this is the wrong section or on improper etiquette in general. I'm having a bit of trouble with what should be a pretty simple problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A resistor R1 = 23Ω is connected to a battery that has negligible internal resistance and electrical energy is dissipated by at a rate of 44W.

If a second resistor R2 = 20Ω is connected in series with R1 , what is the total rate at which electrical energy is dissipated by the two resistors?

2. Relevant equations
    P=VI=I2R, V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

I first solved for the current I by using the equation P=I2R using my R1. I found the current to be I=1.38A.

From there I found the equivalent resistance by adding my resistances as they are in series to get an equivalent resistance of 43Ω.

I then used the equation P=I2R plugging in the 1.38A and 43Ω.
    This gave me a new power of 82W but the site says this is not correct. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Try calculating the battery voltage in the first calculation.

This will stay constant for the second calculation.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks! I got it! I had it in my head that the current would be what remained constant since it was in series but wasn't quite sure about that. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook