Calculate number of nodes in stationary waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
markus92
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi guys I have this problem that I can't solve..

Suppose to have this situation:

12345.jpg


when M=16kg the cord vibrates in one of its normal ways of oscillation.
when M=6.25 we have the same frequency but 3 more nodes.

How many are the nodes of the stationary wave in the first and in the second case?Knowing that for the n harmonic the frequency is

[itex]\frac{n}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}}[/itex]

3more node → n harmonic first case +2 so

[itex]\frac{n1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T1}{u}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{n2}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T2}{u}}[/itex]

but it's wrong.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i would be n+3 not n+2 for three more nodes
 
yes I think you're right

edit.

solved
 
Last edited:
I worked the problem and I am curious what the answer is?
 
Let me ask for a definition. If the string is vibrating at its lowest frequency, do you consider the endpoints f the string where it attaches to the wall and pully nodes or do the nodes only exist BETWEEN the end points? Put another way does the fundamental frequency have 0 or 2 nodes?
 
I consider the fundamental have 2 nodes like this schema

250px-Harmonic_partials_on_strings.svg.png