1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length and Area of Cylindrical Nichrome Resistor

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You must complete the circuit of (Figure 1) in such a way that it draws a current of 0.450 A from the battery. The battery maintains a potential difference of 10.0 V with no load, but has an internal resistance of Rbatt = 15.0 Ω . The only material you have is 20.0 mm^3 of nichrome, and you must use all of it. your plan is to form the nichrome into a cylindrical resistor. [The conductivity of nichrome is 6.7 × 105 A/(V⋅m).]
    upload_2017-3-15_11-9-48.png
    Part A
    What must the cylinder length be?

Part B

What must the cylinder cross-sectional area be?

2. Relevant equations
    I = V/R
    R = L/(A*σ)
    A = πr^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I solved for the resistance the created resistor must have. Since the two resistors would be in series, I solved the equivalent resistance to be R = Rn + Rb. (Rn = Resistance of new resistor that is being solved for, Rb = resistance of battery). To draw the correct amount of current out of the battery, I = V/(Rn+Rb). Solving for Rn, I got Rn = V/I-Rb = 10/0.45 - 15 = 7.22 Ω.

I'm pretty sure I need to use this equation: R = L/(A*σ) to solve for L and A, but since I only know R and σ, I still have two unknown variables to solve for, and only one equation. I'm guessing I need to incorporate the given detail that there is only 20 mm^3 of nichrome wire available, but I am not sure how to do that. Is there another equation I should use to do so, like volume or surface area?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2
    Is there a way to get volume out of L and A?

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Robotic-Cow,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Looks good so far.
    Yup, you're given a volume value so an equation for the volume of the resistor you're creating seems appropriate.

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4
    Thanks so much for the help :smile:! I managed to solve both length and cross-sectional area by rearranging the volume equation in terms of radius, and plugging it back into the equation for resistance to solve for length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted