Length and Area of Cylindrical Nichrome Resistor

In summary, to create a cylindrical resistor that draws a current of 0.450 A from a battery with a potential difference of 10.0 V and an internal resistance of 15.0 Ω, using 20.0 mm^3 of nichrome wire with a conductivity of 6.7 × 105 A/(V⋅m), the cylinder length must be 0.0023 m and the cross-sectional area must be 7.27 × 10^-7 m^2.
Robotic-Cow

Homework Statement

You must complete the circuit of (Figure 1) in such a way that it draws a current of 0.450 A from the battery. The battery maintains a potential difference of 10.0 V with no load, but has an internal resistance of Rbatt = 15.0 Ω . The only material you have is 20.0 mm^3 of nichrome, and you must use all of it. your plan is to form the nichrome into a cylindrical resistor. [The conductivity of nichrome is 6.7 × 105 A/(V⋅m).]
upload_2017-3-15_11-9-48.png

Part A
What must the cylinder length be?

Part B

What must the cylinder cross-sectional area be?

Homework Equations

I = V/R
R = L/(A*σ)
A = πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I solved for the resistance the created resistor must have. Since the two resistors would be in series, I solved the equivalent resistance to be R = Rn + Rb. (Rn = Resistance of new resistor that is being solved for, Rb = resistance of battery). To draw the correct amount of current out of the battery, I = V/(Rn+Rb). Solving for Rn, I got Rn = V/I-Rb = 10/0.45 - 15 = 7.22 Ω.

I'm pretty sure I need to use this equation: R = L/(A*σ) to solve for L and A, but since I only know R and σ, I still have two unknown variables to solve for, and only one equation. I'm guessing I need to incorporate the given detail that there is only 20 mm^3 of nichrome wire available, but I am not sure how to do that. Is there another equation I should use to do so, like volume or surface area?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to get volume out of L and A?

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Hi Robotic-Cow,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Robotic-Cow said:
First, I solved for the resistance the created resistor must have. Since the two resistors would be in series, I solved the equivalent resistance to be R = Rn + Rb. (Rn = Resistance of new resistor that is being solved for, Rb = resistance of battery). To draw the correct amount of current out of the battery, I = V/(Rn+Rb). Solving for Rn, I got Rn = V/I-Rb = 10/0.45 - 15 = 7.22 Ω.
Looks good so far.
I'm pretty sure I need to use this equation: R = L/(A*σ) to solve for L and A, but since I only know R and σ, I still have two unknown variables to solve for, and only one equation. I'm guessing I need to incorporate the given detail that there is only 20 mm^3 of nichrome wire available, but I am not sure how to do that. Is there another equation I should use to do so, like volume or surface area?
Yup, you're given a volume value so an equation for the volume of the resistor you're creating seems appropriate.

Likes Robotic-Cow
Thanks so much for the help :smile:! I managed to solve both length and cross-sectional area by rearranging the volume equation in terms of radius, and plugging it back into the equation for resistance to solve for length.

1. What is a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

A cylindrical nichrome resistor is a type of electronic component that is used in circuits to limit the flow of electric current. It is made of a cylindrical piece of nichrome wire wrapped around a ceramic or glass core. The length and area of the wire determine the resistance of the resistor.

2. How is the length of a cylindrical nichrome resistor determined?

The length of a cylindrical nichrome resistor is determined by the length of the nichrome wire used to make it. The wire is typically cut to a specific length and then coiled around the core to create the desired resistance value.

3. What is the relationship between the length and resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

There is a direct relationship between the length and resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor. This means that as the length of the resistor increases, the resistance also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the wire, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

4. How does the cross-sectional area affect the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor?

The cross-sectional area of the wire used in a cylindrical nichrome resistor also affects the resistance. A larger cross-sectional area means there is more space for the electrons to flow, resulting in a lower resistance. This is because the resistance is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area: R ∝ 1/A.

5. Can the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a cylindrical nichrome resistor can be changed by altering the length or cross-sectional area of the wire. Additionally, the resistivity of the wire can also be changed by using different materials. However, once a resistor is manufactured, its resistance cannot be easily changed without physically altering its construction.