Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate persistence length from force extension data of a single DNA

Tags:
  1. Aug 29, 2014 #1

pen

Hello!

From a data set of F-x measurements of a single dsDNA molecule I want to calculate the persistence length [itex] P [/itex]. So I plotted [itex] \frac {1} {\sqrt{(F)}}[/itex] vs. [itex]x[/itex] and fitted these data points (linear).

According to an interpolation formula the extension [itex]x[/itex] of a worm like chain with contour length [itex]L_0 [/itex] (Bustamante et al.,1994) is:

[itex] \frac{FP}{k_BT}= \frac{1}{4} \Big( 1-\frac{x}{L_0}\Big)^{-2} -\frac{1}{4} + \frac{x}{L_0}[/itex], applicable for extensions [itex]\frac{x}{L_0}<0.97[/itex]

Thus the y-intercept of the straight line fitted to the data as described above is [itex] 2\sqrt{\frac{P}{k_BT}}[/itex].

When I calculate [itex] P [/itex] this way, I get values between ~2.7 nm (when I choose a force range beween ~6-17pN, which is roughly linear, and the dsDNA molecule behaves as a Hookean spring). However these values are far below the expected value for the persistence length of dsDNA (50nm).

Does anyone see what' s wrong with my approach ?

Thanks a lot for help

Pen

P.S. please find attached the F-x-graph and the 1/sqrt(F)-x-graph

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I find your 1/√F plot to have a y-intercept of 1.4

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3

pen

then unfortunately the plot was for a different force range, however in case the intercept is 1.4, the persistence length would be ~2nm (still much too low).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook