Calculate resistance with a silver plate in circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a circuit with a silver plate. The person asking the question initially thought that the silver plate would act as a conductor, but when they assumed it was an insulator, they got a different answer. They are asking for help in understanding why. The other participants in the conversation suggest that the person should show their working to understand why their answers are incorrect. The person then provides their working and asks if they are correct.
lelon
Here is the question that a circuit with silver plate, i though silver plate will act as conductor but I can't the answer 1.333. If i assume it as insulator, i will get the answer 1.3333... why? Thanks for your help in advance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59211&stc=1&d=1370156231.jpg

Attachments

• circuit with silver plate.jpg
    circuit with silver plate.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
lelon said:
Here is the question that a circuit with silver plate, i though silver plate will act as conductor but I can't the answer 1.333. If i assume it as insulator, i will get the answer 1.3333... why?
Why not? The electronics is different so you should get different answers.
If you want to know why you get those particular results, you will have to show your working.

lelon said:
Here is the question that a circuit with silver plate, i though silver plate will act as conductor but I can't the answer 1.333. If i assume it as insulator, i will get the answer 1.3333... why? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi lelon.

Of your 3 answers, two are wrong. Show your working and I think you will discover why B is not the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge and NascentOxygen, from what i do is assume silver plate is conductor without resistance, so , my working is calculate node XZ , i get resitance 1/R = 1/2 + 1/2 where R is 1 ohm... then top part YZ resistance, R = 2 + 1 and I get 3 ohm. Last , I calculate total resistance in parallel circuit where 1/R = 1/2 + 1/3 where i get R = 1.2... Am I correct?

Thanks for your both reply. :)

lelon said:
what i do is assume silver plate is conductor without resistance, so , my working is calculate node XZ , i get resitance 1/R = 1/2 + 1/2 where R is 1 ohm... then top part YZ resistance, R = 2 + 1 and I get 3 ohm. Last , I calculate total resistance in parallel circuit where 1/R = 1/2 + 1/3 where i get R = 1.2... Am I correct?
:smile:

Well done :D

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a silver plate in a circuit?

To calculate the resistance of a silver plate in a circuit, you will need to know the dimensions (length, width, and thickness) of the plate, the resistivity of silver (which can be found in a table), and the temperature of the plate. You can then use the formula R = (ρ * L) / A, where R is resistance, ρ is resistivity, L is length, and A is cross-sectional area.

2. Is the resistance of a silver plate affected by temperature?

Yes, the resistance of a silver plate is affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance also increases due to the increased movement of atoms in the silver, which leads to more collisions and a higher resistance.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the resistance of a different metal plate?

No, the resistivity (ρ) value will be different for each metal, so you will need to use the appropriate value for the metal you are calculating the resistance for. Additionally, the dimensions and temperature of the plate will also affect the resistance calculation.

4. How does the thickness of a silver plate impact its resistance?

The thickness of a silver plate does impact its resistance. The resistance is directly proportional to the length of the plate, but inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area. This means that as the thickness increases, the resistance decreases.

5. Can I use the resistance calculation for a silver plate in any type of circuit?

Yes, the resistance calculation for a silver plate can be used in any type of circuit as long as the plate is a part of the circuit. However, keep in mind that the resistance may also be affected by other components in the circuit.