Finding relativistic mass and energy of an electron

In summary, a resting electron was sped up to 0.5 of the speed of light. The relativistic mass of the electron was found to be 7.88 * 10^-31 kg. The total energy of the electron was calculated to be 9.45 * 10^-14 J, and the kinetic energy was found to be 1.18 * 10^-22 J. The equation for finding the relativistic mass, m(rel) = gamma * m(rest), was used to calculate the relativistic mass. The kinetic energy equation, K = mv^2/2, and the total energy equation, E=mc^2, were then used to calculate the kinetic and total energies, respectively.
AlexPilk

Homework Statement

A resting electron was sped up to 0.5 of the speed of light. Find:
A. relativistic mass of the electron,
B. total energy of the electron,
C. kinetic energy of the electron.

Homework Equations

K = mv^2/2
E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let’s first find the kinetic energy:
K = m*v^2/2
K = (9.1*10^-31*0.25*9*10^16)/2 = 1.02375*10^-14 J

Now we should find relativistic mass using E=mc^2.
m(rel) = E/c^2 = (1.02375*10^-14)/(9*10^16) = 1.1375*10^-31 kg

Total energy must be = m(rest)*c^2
Then E(total) = 9.1*10^-31*9*10^16 = 8.19*10^-14 J

Is this solution correct?
And I suppose potential energy = 8.19*10^-14 - 1.02375*10^-14 = 7.16625*10^-14 ? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not correct. Do you have an equation with rest mass and Gamma (which is a relationship that crops up a lot in relativistic formula)?

rpthomps said:
No, that is not correct. Do you have an equation with rest mass and Gamma (which is a relationship that crops up a lot in relativistic formula)?
I'm not sure what equation you mean. I found p = mv*gamma, but I don't understand what gamma means there.

This is gamma

##\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

You were never taught this?

rpthomps said:
You were never taught this?
I have a ton of stuff to figure out by myself in a short period of time, so sorry for stupid questions :( I don't remember anything about relativistic mass from school.
So gamma is also relativistic mass/rest mass?

Its not a stupid question, I am just wondering what you know about mass at relativistic speeds. Check out the article I sent, there is a ratio embedded in there that you will find useful. :)

rpthomps said:
Its not a stupid question, I am just wondering what you know about mass at relativistic speeds. Check out the article I sent, there is a ratio embedded in there that you will find useful. :)
Ok, then m(rel) = gamma*m(rest)
gamma = sqrt(1-0.25) = sqrt(0.75)
m(rel) = sqrt(0.75)*9.1*10^-31 = 7.88*10^-31

Is it correct now?

Gamma is almost like a way of translating mass/lengths/time from the ordinary or Newtonian way of thinking of life to the relativistic way... It's usually a multiplier of some kind.

AlexPilk said:
Ok, then m(rel) = gamma*m(rest)
gamma = sqrt(1-0.25) = sqrt(0.75)
m(rel) = sqrt(0.75)*9.1*10^-31 = 7.88*10^-31

Is it correct now?

You are close. It should be m_electron/sqrt(0.75)

Likes AlexPilk
rpthomps said:
You are close. It should be m_electron/sqrt(0.75)
Hm, but why? On wikipedia the equation is m(rel)/m(rest) = gamma, so gamma*m(rest) = m(rel)

rpthomps said:
This is gamma

##\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

Mass increases as speed increases

rpthomps said:
Mass increases as speed increases
Right, got it. So then I should plug in relativistic mass as m into K = mv^2/2 and E=mc^2 and get the kinetic and total energies?
Then m = 9.1*10^-31/sqrt(75) = 1.05 * 10^-30
Total energy E = 1.05*10^-30*9*10^16 = 9.45*10^-14
Kinetic energy K = (1.05*10^-30*0.25*9*10^8)/2 = 1.18*10^-22

Or am I wrong again?

Oh, looked it up. KE = mc^2 - m0c^2 = 1.05*10^-30*9*10^16 - 9.1*10^-31*9*10^16 = 1.26*10^-14 J
Now I have to figure what "total energy" means.
KE = Total energy - Potential energy, so I suppose m(rel)*c^2 = 9.45*10^-14 is total energy like I wrote in the previous message? I hope it's correct now? :)

What is relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in physics that describes the mass of an object as it approaches the speed of light. It takes into account the increase in mass due to an object's kinetic energy.

What is the formula for finding the relativistic mass of an electron?

The formula for finding the relativistic mass of an electron is m = m0 / (1-v2/c2)1/2, where m0 is the rest mass of the electron, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How is relativistic energy related to relativistic mass?

Relativistic energy is directly related to relativistic mass through the famous equation E = mc2. This means that as an object's relativistic mass increases, its relativistic energy also increases.

Why is it important to consider relativistic mass and energy when studying electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that move at very high speeds and can approach the speed of light. As a result, their relativistic mass and energy become significant and must be taken into account in order to accurately describe their behavior and interactions.

How does the relativistic mass and energy of an electron affect its behavior in an electromagnetic field?

The relativistic mass and energy of an electron play a crucial role in determining its behavior in an electromagnetic field. As an electron's velocity changes, so does its relativistic mass, which in turn affects its response to the electromagnetic force. This can lead to phenomena such as relativistic mass increase, length contraction, and time dilation.