Calculate sin75 without calculator

• Thread starter Robin04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the author attempted to solve for sin75 using the tg15 equation and the Pythagorean theorem, but got a wrong result due to a calculation error. He then tried the same solution using the tg15 equation and the cos15 equation, but this also yielded a wrong result. He is unsure why this is happening, but he has the sin75 and cos15 formulas in his book.
Robin04

Homework Statement

Calculate sin75 without calculator![/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I constructed a triangle with angles 15, 75 and 90 then I defined sin75 by the sides. In a previous exercise the task was the same but with tg15 and I used the result in this execise too.
I wrote the equation: tg15 = b/a and if I express b and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I get the right result. However, if I express a and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I got a wrong result and I don't know why is this happening. I looked through it and I haven't find any calculation error... The second way is a lot longer but I should work. :(

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0122_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpghttp://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0123_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with double angle and half angle formulas? How is sin75 related to cos15? What is cos(2θ) in terms of cosθ?

Chet

Likes Robin04
Robin04 said:
I know that this is not a physics homework, but I didn't find any subforum for my trigonometry math homework.

1. Homework Statement
Calculate sin75 without calculator!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I constructed a triangle with angles 15, 75 and 90 then I defined sin75 by the sides. In a previous exercise the task was the same but with tg15 and I used the result in this execise too.
I wrote the equation: tg15 = b/a and if I express b and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I get the right result. However, if I express a and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I got a wrong result and I don't know why is this happening. I looked through it and I haven't find any calculation error... The second way is a lot longer but I should work. :(

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0122_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpghttp://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0123_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

You really should type out your work; most helpers here (me included) will ignore any of the details in your post.

I am willing to offer a hint, though: if you look on-line you can find documents that give closed-form formulas for sines or cosines of all angles from 1 degree to 89 degrees in increments of 1 degree.

Last edited:
Likes Robin04
Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with double angle and half angle formulas? How is sin75 related to cos15? What is cos(2θ) in terms of cosθ?

Chet
I haven't learned them but I have the formulas in my book.

Member warned about posting complete solutions
Break the angle 75 into component angles which are more familiar e.g 15,30 ,45 , then apply sin(alpha+beta) formula...
sin 75
= sin(45 + 30)
= sin45cos30 + cos45sin30
= (½√2)(½√3) + (½√2)(½)
= ¼(√6 + √2)

Likes Robin04
Hamza Abbasi said:
Break the angle 75 into component angles which are more familiar e.g 15,30 ,45 , then apply sin(alpha+beta) formula...
sin 75
= sin(45 + 30)
= sin45cos30 + cos45sin30
= (½√2)(½√3) + (½√2)(½)
= ¼(√6 + √2)

PF helpers are not allowed to give complete solutions!

Ray Vickson said:
PF helpers are not allowed to give complete solutions!
Oh ! Sorry I didn't knew that , I will try to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for your answer! :) But can you help me with explaining why my solution doesn't work? They seem completely equivalent for me.

1. How do I calculate sin75 without a calculator?

The most common way to calculate sin75 without a calculator is by using the trigonometric identity: sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). In this case, we can rewrite sin75 as sin(30+45). We know that sin30 = 1/2 and cos30 = √3/2, so we can substitute these values and calculate sin75 as sin(30+45) = (1/2)(√3/2) + (√3/2)(1/2) = √3/4 + √3/4 = √3/2.

2. Can I use a trigonometric table to calculate sin75 without a calculator?

Yes, you can use a trigonometric table to calculate sin75 without a calculator. Look for the angle 75 degrees in the table and find the corresponding value for sin75, which is approximately 0.9659. However, this method may not be as accurate as using the trigonometric identity mentioned above.

3. Is there an easier way to calculate sin75 without a calculator?

Using the trigonometric identity may seem complicated, but it is the most efficient way to calculate sin75 without a calculator. Other methods, such as using the unit circle or the Taylor series expansion, may be more time-consuming and require more mathematical knowledge.

4. Can I use a calculator to calculate sin75?

Yes, most calculators have a sin function that allows you to enter an angle in degrees and get the corresponding sine value. However, if you want to challenge yourself and improve your problem-solving skills, it is beneficial to learn how to calculate sin75 without a calculator.

5. Why is it important to be able to calculate sin75 without a calculator?

Knowing how to calculate trigonometric functions without a calculator is essential for several reasons. It allows you to double-check the results you get from a calculator, which can sometimes be incorrect due to rounding errors. It also helps you understand the underlying concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, in situations where you do not have access to a calculator, being able to calculate sin75 without one can be very useful.