1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate sin75 without calculator

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate sin75 without calculator!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I constructed a triangle with angles 15, 75 and 90 then I defined sin75 by the sides. In a previous exercise the task was the same but with tg15 and I used the result in this execise too.
    I wrote the equation: tg15 = b/a and if I express b and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I get the right result. However, if I express a and put it in the Pythagorean theorem I got a wrong result and I don't know why is this happening. I looked through it and I haven't find any calculation error... The second way is a lot longer but I should work. :(

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0122_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/150902/IMG_0123_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2
    Are you familiar with double angle and half angle formulas? How is sin75 related to cos15? What is cos(2θ) in terms of cosθ?

Chet

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really should type out your work; most helpers here (me included) will ignore any of the details in your post.

I am willing to offer a hint, though: if you look on-line you can find documents that give closed-form formulas for sines or cosines of all angles from 1 degree to 89 degrees in increments of 1 degree.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. Sep 2, 2015 #4
    I haven't learnt them but I have the formulas in my book.

6. Sep 2, 2015 #5
    • Member warned about posting complete solutions
    Break the angle 75 into component angles which are more familiar e.g 15,30 ,45 , then apply sin(alpha+beta) formula...
    sin 75
    = sin(45 + 30)
    = sin45cos30 + cos45sin30
    = (½√2)(½√3) + (½√2)(½)
    = ¼(√6 + √2)

7. Sep 2, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF helpers are not allowed to give complete solutions!

8. Sep 2, 2015 #7
    Oh !! Sorry I didn't knew that , I will try to avoid it in the future.

9. Sep 2, 2015 #8
    Thanks for your answer! :) But can you help me with explaining why my solution doesn't work? They seem completely equivalent for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted