Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate speed of vehicle vs distance of pedestrian traveled

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    WIN_20140923_191738.JPG I would like to calculate the above. Here are the factors. This has real life repercussions, and if further variables are required I will provide them if possible.

Vehicle weight (x=4986LB) includes 120LB driver, plus 50lb child and 60lb child
    Pedestrian weight (p=320LB)
    speed of vehicle (v=?)
    distance p traveled (d=90ft)
    difference in height (h=15ft) lower than impact because impact was on a hill and p landed in ditch
    time (t=?)
    acceleration (a=?)
    gravity (g=9.81m/s squared)

please include formula/s used and how they applied. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It sounds like you are trying to make a case for something in real life.
    This is not a good forum to do this in.

Since this is important, you should employ a professional crash-scene or scene-of-accident investigator.

Aside:
    You appear to want to know how fast a vehicle was going from the distance a pedestrian was thrown.
    Typical approaches include:
    http://jneades.com/downloads/Pedestrian%20throw.pdf [Broken]
    http://autoaccidentreconstructionguide.com/pedestrian-collision-investigators-guide-in-investigating-pedestrian-collisions/ [Broken]
    ... care has to be taken with these as there may be forces acting other than the impact and gravity.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    You are correct, and I agree this may not be the best place, and I apologize for that. Perhaps there is a "good" place somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

The investigation is over as far as they are concerned, and they did not complete certain areas of investigation, like indicated above. This is why I am here.

You have given me a few leads, I will do my best with that. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook