Calculate speed of vehicle vs distance of pedestrian traveled

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the speed of a vehicle involved in a pedestrian accident. The factors provided include the weight of the vehicle with passengers, the weight of the pedestrian, the distance the pedestrian was thrown, and the difference in height between the impact and the location where the pedestrian landed. The conversation also mentions the need for further variables, such as the speed of the vehicle and the time of the accident, to accurately calculate the speed. It is suggested that a professional crash-scene investigator should be employed for a more thorough investigation. Possible approaches for calculating the speed are also mentioned.
zippyconch
WIN_20140923_191738.JPG
I would like to calculate the above. Here are the factors. This has real life repercussions, and if further variables are required I will provide them if possible.

Vehicle weight (x=4986LB) includes 120LB driver, plus 50lb child and 60lb child
Pedestrian weight (p=320LB)
speed of vehicle (v=?)
distance p traveled (d=90ft)
difference in height (h=15ft) lower than impact because impact was on a hill and p landed in ditch
time (t=?)
acceleration (a=?)
gravity (g=9.81m/s squared)

please include formula/s used and how they applied. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are trying to make a case for something in real life.
This is not a good forum to do this in.

Since this is important, you should employ a professional crash-scene or scene-of-accident investigator.

Aside:
You appear to want to know how fast a vehicle was going from the distance a pedestrian was thrown.
Typical approaches include:
http://jneades.com/downloads/Pedestrian%20throw.pdf [Broken]
http://autoaccidentreconstructionguide.com/pedestrian-collision-investigators-guide-in-investigating-pedestrian-collisions/ [Broken]
... care has to be taken with these as there may be forces acting other than the impact and gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, and I agree this may not be the best place, and I apologize for that. Perhaps there is a "good" place somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.

The investigation is over as far as they are concerned, and they did not complete certain areas of investigation, like indicated above. This is why I am here.

You have given me a few leads, I will do my best with that. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a vehicle?

To calculate the speed of a vehicle, you would need to measure the distance it travels in a certain amount of time. This can be done using a speedometer or by measuring the distance traveled and the time it took.

2. How do you measure the distance traveled by a pedestrian?

The distance traveled by a pedestrian can be measured using a measuring tape or by tracking their movement using GPS or other tracking devices.

3. What units are used to measure speed and distance?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour. Distance can be measured in various units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

4. Is the speed of a vehicle affected by the distance traveled by a pedestrian?

No, the speed of a vehicle is not affected by the distance traveled by a pedestrian. The speed of a vehicle is determined by the distance it travels and the time it takes, regardless of any other factors.

5. Can the speed of a vehicle and the distance traveled by a pedestrian be used to determine the likelihood of a collision?

Yes, the speed of a vehicle and the distance traveled by a pedestrian can be used to estimate the likelihood of a collision. However, there are many other factors that can also contribute to the risk of a collision, such as weather conditions, road conditions, and reaction time of the driver.