1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Speed vehicle travelling on impact

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    Hi guys
    hoping someone is able to answer this albeit a estimated reply.
    I am trying to figure out the speed I was hit at in a recent accident.

I was stationary at a junction (vehicle weight aproz 1470kg) foot on brake
    was hit from behind (vehicle weight aprox 2000kg)
    was hit full on driver did not apply brakes (no skid marks) Driver claims not to have seen me

From the point of impact my vehicle travelled aprox 24 metres my foot was still on the brake during this time.

From the point of impact the vehicle hitting me continued to travel 36 metres

It was a clear dry afternoon.

Any help would be appreciated as to an estimated speed that I was hit at.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

:welcome:

We get similar questions often on PF. But accident reconstruction is something for trained professionals, not amateurs, or even physicists.

A simple question and answer on an Internet forum is not very useful.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    I figured there must be a mathematical equation to work this out..I guess it's not that simple then ? Thankyou for taking the time to reply Anorlunda.

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you were hit from behind, how is it that the vehicle that hit you traveled twelve meters more than you?

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry but we don't allow traffic accident analysis here at PF. Accidents are too complex to give an accurate analysis, especially without physically investigating the scene. If you need help, please consult a professional trained in this area.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook