Calculate the B field inside and outside a wire

In summary, we need to determine the magnetic field, B, inside and outside a long, straight wire with a radius of a and a current density of J = J0e−β(α−ρ)uz. Using the equations J=I/((pi)a^2) and B=(μIρ)/(2(pi)(a)^2), we can integrate J to find i and then use this to find B. However, since beta is constant and alpha is greater than rho, e^(-beta(alpha-rho)) will go to 0, making the limit from 0 to infinity flawed. So we must consider that the problem does not involve time, as indicated by the use of J0, the initial value.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire of radius a has current density J = J0e−β(α−ρ)uz where β is a
constant and ρ < α. Determine B inside and outside the wire.

Homework Equations

J=I/((pi)a^2)
B=(μIρ)/(2(pi)(a)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did B=(μρ/2)J0e^(-β(alpha-ρ))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem confusing?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Is the problem confusing?

Not at all. First find i by integrating J then find B. di = JdA

So ∫J0e^-β(α-ρ) from 0 to a but what should I integrate with respect too?

J=di/dA maybe?

well since beta is constant and alpha is greater than rho then e^(-beta(alpha-rho)) whould go to 0 if I took the limit from 0 to infinty

hmmm well I guess the problem does not consider time as it uses J0 which I assume stands for the intial value

So my limit I idea is flawed then

Anything else?

1. What is the formula for calculating the B field inside a wire?

The formula for calculating the B field inside a wire is B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the center of the wire.

2. How do you calculate the B field outside a wire?

The formula for calculating the B field outside a wire is B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire's center to the point outside the wire.

3. Does the B field inside a wire change as you move further away from the center?

No, the B field inside a wire does not change as you move further away from the center. It remains constant at all points inside the wire.

4. How does the current affect the B field inside and outside a wire?

The B field inside and outside a wire is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire. As the current increases, the B field also increases.

5. Can the B field inside a wire be negative?

No, the B field inside a wire cannot be negative. It is always a positive value and points in the direction determined by the right-hand rule.