Calculate the Capacitance of 3 conductors in the presence of the ground

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the image charge theorem for calculating positive and zero sequence capacitance. The equations and variables involved are provided, with a focus on the potential for each conductor. The expert suggests that the calculated potential for each conductor may be more useful in solving the problem.
my_life
Homework Statement
The conductors are cylindrical, equally spaced, and parallel to each other, with a radius r0 = 0.5 cm.
Conductors 2 and 3 are located at a height of h = 5 m from the ground; the distance between the conductors is equal to
d = 10 cm Let V1, V2, and V3 be the voltages applied to each conductor and Q1, Q2, and Q3 the charges for
a unit of length. Calculate the partial capacities of the system
Relevant Equations
C= Q/V0
Initially, I thought to apply the image charge theorem, but I don't know how to continue.
Someone could give me some indication on how to solve the problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• png.PNG
    png.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 143
Physics news on Phys.org
Positive sequence capacitance:

2.π.εr.εo/ln(d/r) nF/km

Zero sequence capacitance:

2.π.εr.εo/{3.ln[2.h/(r.d^2)^(1/3)]} nF/km
d=(d12.d23.d31)^(1/3) [m]

h=(h1.h2.h3)^(1/3) [m]

For air ambient εr=1

εo =8.854 nF/km

r=conductor radius [m]

Likes my_life
I think you have another problem. Since they are given the potentials and the charges you have to employ this equation[typical]:
V12=1/(2.π.εr.εo).{Q1.[ln(d12/r)-ln(h12'/h1]+Q2.[-ln(d12/r)-ln(h2/h12')]+Q3.[ln(d23/d31)-ln(h23/h31)]}
Where V12=V1-V2
What do you need is V1,V2 and V3 if Q1=Q2=Q3=1?

Attachments

• partial capacitance of three conductors.jpg
    partial capacitance of three conductors.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 141
Likes my_life
At the second look it seems that the calculated potential for each separate conductor is more useful.

V1=k.[Q1.ln(h1/r)+Q2.ln(h12/d12)+Q3.ln(h13/d13)]

V2=k.[Q2.ln(h2/r)+Q1.ln(h12/d12)+Q3.ln(h23/d23)

V3=k.[Q3.ln(h3/r)+Q1.ln(h13/d13)+Q2.ln(h23/d23)]

k=1/(2.π.εr.εo)= 17975484.88 km/F

If Q=1C[Coulomb] V1[V] Cap=1C/V[F]

Likes my_life

1. How do you calculate the capacitance of 3 conductors in the presence of the ground?

The capacitance of 3 conductors in the presence of the ground can be calculated using the formula C = (C1*C2*C3)/(C1+C2+C3+Cg), where C1, C2, and C3 are the capacitances of the individual conductors and Cg is the capacitance of the ground.

2. What is the role of the ground in calculating capacitance?

The ground acts as a reference point for the electrical potential of the conductors. It helps to stabilize the electrical field and reduces the overall capacitance of the system.

3. Can the capacitance of 3 conductors in the presence of the ground be negative?

No, the capacitance of a system cannot be negative. It is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge and is always a positive value.

4. How does the distance between the conductors affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the conductors. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating capacitance in the presence of the ground?

Some practical applications include designing electrical circuits, calculating the capacitance of power lines, and determining the capacitance of electronic components such as capacitors and cables.