Calculate the capacitance of the capacitor

In summary, the problem is asking for the capacitance of a charged capacitor connected to an 8.0 kΩ resistor which discharges and loses 63.2% of its original charge in 6.2 seconds. The equation t = R*C*ln(v0/v) can be used to solve for the capacitance, where t is the time, R is the resistance, C is the capacitance, v is the final voltage, and v0 is the initial voltage. By rearranging the equation and substituting the given values, the capacitance is calculated to be 1.688946652 * 10-3 F.
TRE
1.Question: A charged capacitor is connected across an 8.0 kΩ resistor and allowed to discharge. The capacitor loses 63.2% of it's original charge in a time of 6.2 seconds. Calculate the capacitance of the capacitor. (This is everything they give and nothing extra, I have checked and made sure).

What they give me is:

R = 8000 Ω
R*C = 8000Ω*C
t=6.2 sec)
Percentage value of : 63.2%

Homework Equations

: None of the equations I have at my disposal can make use of the above values without a voltage or current value given. This is why I am asking for help because I don'tΩ know what equation to use.

I have looked at one equation that may help, but it uses voltage,:
V=V0 * e(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

: R = 8000 Ω
RC = 8000Ω*C
t=6.2 sec)
Percentage value of : 63.2%

I can use:

63.2% for V ∴ = 0.632

100% for V0 ∴ = 1

e = 2.718 (Value is given like this in my textbook)

RC= 8000Ω*C

t = 6.2 sec

C = ? (value I am asked to calculate)

Solution:

0.632 = 1 * e(-t/R*C)

ln(0.623) = ln(e) * (-6.2/8000*C)

C = 1.688946652 * 10-3 F

My answer does not seem correct as it is a very low value and besides I don't know whether I used the correct value for V and V0 or should they have been switched ?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank You
Regards
Trevor

Physics news on Phys.org
You have all information needed to solve this problem. It's seems to me that you don't full understand what time constant is or maybe you don't read the Question too carefully.

This part is very important
The capacitor loses 63.2% of it's original charge in a time of 6.2 seconds.
And all you need is this equation t = R*C

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the measure of a capacitor's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of material between the plates. It also depends on the voltage applied to the capacitor, as well as the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. Can capacitance be negative?

No, capacitance cannot be negative. It is always a positive value and represents the ability of a capacitor to store charge.

5. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its performance?

The capacitance of a capacitor determines how much charge it can store, and therefore affects its ability to store and release energy. A higher capacitance means a capacitor can hold more charge and have a higher energy storage capacity.