What is the Voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes?

In summary, the homework statement is discussing equations that can be used to calculate voltages in an RC circuit. There is confusion as to what the question is asking and the student is trying to figure out what equations to use to solve the problem. Additionally, the student is wondering what the relationship between charge and voltage is for a capacitor. The eventual voltage state is 0.6V and the eventual charge state is 30 and 120 coulombs, respectively.
Lapse

Homework Statement

upload_2018-11-17_20-30-10.png

Homework Equations

Vf+(Vi-Vf)e-t/RC

Tau = RC

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-11-17_20-20-48.png
[/B]

Normally, I would use the eq'n mentioned above to find Vr in an RC circuit. However, this second capacitor is throwing me off. Is there a new equation I should use? How do I think about this circuit?
Additionally, how would I go about finding Tau? Do I add the capacitance of each capacitor:
(R x (C1+C2))?

Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-17_20-20-48.png
    upload_2018-11-17_20-20-48.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 739
  • upload_2018-11-17_20-30-10.png
    upload_2018-11-17_20-30-10.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 767
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Your relevant equation applies to charging from a constant voltage, so not in this case. You need something better.

The context of the question is unclear to me: there is no single 'the voltage after the switch closes': as your plot clearly shows, Vr is time dependent. From the remainder of the exercise it seems they mean 'after a long time'. But you are using some simulation programme to plot the time dependence (which as said is not described by your relevant equation).

Are you able to set the time scale to be logarithmic for that plot? If the rate of voltage change reveals as a straight line on semilog axes then you can say the voltage is changing exponentially with time.

But all the question seems to require is that you allow the system sufficient time to settle at its new equilibrium, and determine a value for this final steady state voltage.

Hint: Total charge is conserved and the potentials across the two capacitors must be equal when the circuit reaches steady state.
Lapse said:
Additionally, how would I go about finding Tau? Do I add the capacitance of each capacitor:
(R x (C1+C2))?
The capacitors and resistance (of the switch) are all in series.

BvU said:
Hi,

Your relevant equation applies to charging from a constant voltage, so not in this case. You need something better.

The context of the question is unclear to me: there is no single 'the voltage after the switch closes': as your plot clearly shows, Vr is time dependent. From the remainder of the exercise it seems they mean 'after a long time'. But you are using some simulation programme to plot the time dependence (which as said is not described by your relevant equation).

I understand. So what would the relevant equation be?

gneill said:
Hint: Total charge is conserved and the potentials across the two capacitors must be equal when the circuit reaches steady state.

The capacitors and resistance (of the switch) are all in series.

I noticed that both capacitor charges become equal (they converge to 0.6V).

I see that they are in series; however, what does this mean for finding Tau?

NascentOxygen said:
Are you able to set the time scale to be logarithmic for that plot? If the rate of voltage change reveals as a straight line on semilog axes then you can say the voltage is changing exponentially with time.

But all the question seems to require is that you allow the system sufficient time to settle at its new equilibrium, and determine a value for this final steady state voltage.

The graph being set at a time stop of 200ps was set by the professor. This is why I am assuming that instead of showing a final state at 0.6V, he probably wants to see an equation for the voltage over each capacitor proving what the voltage would be if the time stop went beyond 200ps.
What is a relevant equation I can use to solve for the voltages over the capacitors?

Lapse said:
I noticed that both capacitor charges become equal (they converge to 0.6V).
No. Charge is not voltage (look at the units). What's the relationship between charge and voltage for a capacitor?

The capacitors will not have equal charges for the same potential difference as they do not have the same capacitance.
I see that they are in series; however, what does this mean for finding Tau?
Well for one thing the capacitors are in series... What's the net capacitance?

Note that you don't need ##\tau## to answer this question. You only need to find the eventual state of the system (voltages, charges).

Charge is conserved. After a long time the potential differences across the capacitors must be equal. So how will the (conserved) charge be distributed?

gneill said:
No. Charge is not voltage (look at the units). What's the relationship between charge and voltage for a capacitor?
Q = C x V
gneill said:
Well for one thing the capacitors are in series... What's the net capacitance?
C1 + C2 = 50f + 200f = 250f
gneill said:
Note that you don't need ττ\tau to answer this question. You only need to find the eventual state of the system (voltages, charges).
The eventual voltage state is 0.6V.
The eventual charge state, hmm...
Q1 = 50f x 0.6V = 30 coulombs
Q2 = 200f x 0.6V = 120 coulombs
gneill said:
Charge is conserved. After a long time the potential differences across the capacitors must be equal. So how will the (conserved) charge be distributed?
Once the capacitors are fully charged they behave like wires, correct? It would then make sense that what follows is an equal potential difference (this would be similar to how a current is equal on either end of a closed loop, correct?).
Q = C x V = 250f x 0.6V = 150 coulombs

Ahh, tell me if I'm thinking of it correctly now!

The energy after the switch closes:
E1 = 9J
E2 = 36J

But before the switch closes:
E1 = 25J
E2 = 50J

After potential difference: 36J - 9J = 25J
Before potention difference: 50J - 25J = 25J

25J = 25J ...gneill, is this what you meant by:
gneill said:
After a long time the potential differences across the capacitors must be equal.

Lapse said:
Once the capacitors are fully charged they behave like wires, correct
No !
(Ideal) wires have ##\Delta V=0\ \ \forall I \ ##
(Ideal) capacitors have ##Q = CV \Rightarrow I = C{dV\over dt}## which is something completely different !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkP_HZS3y1bNfbC5dg9786Bz0f7-nLLZkauCf3UbvaN1Y_uGrh.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkP_HZS3y1bNfbC5dg9786Bz0f7-nLLZkauCf3UbvaN1Y_uGrh.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkP_HZS3y1bNfbC5dg9786Bz0f7-nLLZkauCf3UbvaN1Y_uGrh.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 374
Lapse said:
C1 + C2 = 50f + 200f = 250f
That is how to add capacitors in parallel. How do capacitors in series sum?
Lapse said:
The eventual voltage state is 0.6V.
The eventual charge state, hmm...
Q1 = 50f x 0.6V = 30 coulombs
Q2 = 200f x 0.6V = 120 coulombs
Small "f" is not Farads (capital "F"). Small f designates the femto prefix (10-15).
Lapse said:
Ahh, tell me if I'm thinking of it correctly now!

The energy after the switch closes:
E1 = 9J
E2 = 36J

But before the switch closes:
E1 = 25J
E2 = 50J
You'll need to redo the above taking into account that the capacitor values are given in femtoFarads. Also, check your math for the "before the switch closes" value for E2.
After potential difference: 36J - 9J = 25J
Before potention difference: 50J - 25J = 25J
Energy is not potential. Potential difference is measured in Volts.

Likes Lapse

What is the voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes?

The voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes will depend on the circuit and the components involved. It is not possible to determine the voltage without knowing more information.

How does the voltage on C1/C2 change after the switch closes?

The voltage on C1/C2 may change depending on the type of components in the circuit. Capacitors may charge or discharge, causing a change in voltage. It is important to analyze the circuit to determine the exact change in voltage.

Can the voltage on C1/C2 be negative after the switch closes?

It is possible for the voltage on C1/C2 to be negative after the switch closes, depending on the circuit. This can happen if there are components such as diodes or transistors that can cause the voltage to reverse polarity.

What factors can affect the voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes?

The voltage on C1/C2 can be affected by various factors such as the capacitance of the capacitors, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of components in the circuit. The initial voltage on the capacitors before the switch is closed can also impact the final voltage after the switch is closed.

Is there a formula to calculate the voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes?

There is no single formula to calculate the voltage on C1/C2 after the switch closes, as it depends on the circuit and components involved. However, there are equations and techniques that can be used to analyze the circuit and determine the voltage on C1/C2 at a specific time after the switch is closed.