Calculate the current in each resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent resistance between points a and b in Figure P18.5, as well as calculating the current in each resistor with a given potential difference. It also mentions finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit in Figure P18.6 with two given resistors. The relevant equation for solving these problems is V = IR, and the formula for finding the equivalent resistance of parallel resistors is R(eq) = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2).
secret5437

Homework Statement

(a) Find the equivalent resistance between points a and b in Figure P18.5 (R = 15.0 ).
(refer to physics.gif for parts a. and b.)

(b)Calculate the current in each resistor if a potential difference of 34.0 V is applied between points a and b.

A (4.00 resistor)
A (7.00 resistor)
A (15.0 resistor)
A (9.00 resistor)

2. Find the equivalent resistance of the circuit in Figure P18.6. (R1 = 16 , R2 = 13 )
(refer to physics2.gif for this problem)

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have NO idea where to start.

Attachments

• physics.gif
    physics.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 496
  • physics2.gif
    physics2.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org

You're missing a relevant equation. What is the equivalent resistance of two or more parallel resistors?

R(eq) = ?

I am not a mind reader, so I cannot see the figures you have referenced. Additionally, the equations you have provided are not relevant to the problems given. Please provide the figures and equations that are relevant to the problems so that I may assist you. Thank you.

What does "calculate the current in each resistor" mean?

When we talk about calculating the current in each resistor, we are referring to using Ohm's Law to determine the amount of electric current that is flowing through each individual resistor in a circuit. This calculation is typically done in order to understand the overall behavior and performance of the circuit.

How do you calculate the current in each resistor?

The formula for calculating current in a resistor is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can be applied to each individual resistor in a series or parallel circuit to determine the amount of current flowing through each one.

What is the importance of calculating the current in each resistor?

Calculating the current in each resistor allows us to understand the distribution of current in a circuit and how each resistor affects the overall flow of electricity. This is crucial in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as ensuring that the circuit is operating safely and efficiently.

What factors affect the current in each resistor?

The current in each resistor is primarily affected by the amount of voltage applied to the circuit and the resistance of the individual resistor. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and circuit configuration can also have an impact on the current in each resistor.

Are there any limitations to calculating the current in each resistor?

While calculating the current in each resistor is a useful tool, it is important to note that it is based on the assumptions of Ohm's Law, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. Additionally, the presence of non-linear elements in a circuit, such as diodes, can make the calculation more complex and less accurate.