Finding current for each resistor at different times

In summary: What name is given to the formula for the time constant? You may wish to refer to your introductory texts or notes.
Jordan1361

Homework Statement

For the circuit given that R1=10 W, R2=20 W, R3=30 W and L=30 mH, determine the current through each resistor

a) at the moment the switch is closed
b) a long time after the switch is closed

After the switch has been closed a long time it is reopened, determine the current through each resistor

c) at the instant the switch is opened
d) a long time after the switch is opened
e) after the switch is opened, what is the time constant for the circuit?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, is it a mistake that the R1,R2, and R3 are in watts, not ohms?
I have not figured out how to solve any of this! Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Circuit2443.jpg
    Circuit2443.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan1361 said:

Homework Statement

For the circuit given that R1=10 W, R2=20 W, R3=30 W and L=30 mH, determine the current through each resistor

a) at the moment the switch is closed
b) a long time after the switch is closed

After the switch has been closed a long time it is reopened, determine the current through each resistor

c) at the instant the switch is opened
d) a long time after the switch is opened
e) after the switch is opened, what is the time constant for the circuit?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, is it a mistake that the R1,R2, and R3 are in watts, not ohms?
I have not figured out how to solve any of this! Any help is appreciated.

The "W's" are probably a typo. In a math font the W's would be rendered as the greek Ω.

You'll need to make a bit more of an attempt to solve the problem before help can be offered. What do you know about the behavior of inductors when sudden changes in the circuit occur? What formula provides the time constant for an RL circuit?

For part a, the inductor will have very high resistance so no current will flow through R3. The current of R1 and R2 will be I1=I2=ε/30Ω.
[/quote]
Yes, that's right.

Is the ε supposed to be given? I don't know how to find voltage with just resistance and inductance.
If the value for ε is not supplied in the problem statement then you'll have to answer symbolically (with a formula that includes ε as you did above).

For part b, the inductor will have no resistance so R3 parallel to R2.
Req=10+(1/20+1/30)-1=22Ω
I1=ε/22
Okay so far.

I2=ε/20
I3=ε/30
Nope. The full value of ε does not appear across resistors R2 and R3; there must be a voltage drop across R1 when current I1 flows though it.

I don't know how to start parts c,d,e.
Well, what property does an inductor have regarding current when a sudden change occurs in the circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan1361 said:

Homework Statement

Resistors' values would usually be in ohms. If your problem sheet is handwritten perhaps each is meant to be an inverted capital Omega, but carelessly drawn and instead resembles a "W"? The inverted Ω is pronounced "mho" and is an older symbol for conductance, [itex]\mho[/itex]. It has these days been replaced by "S" for siemens.

Jordan1361 said:
Nope. The full value of ε does not appear across resistors R2 and R3; there must be a voltage drop across R1 when current I1 flows though it.

So if I1=ε/22 then V1=(ε/22)R1 and V2=V3=ε-(ε/22)R1
I2=[(ε-(ε/22)R1]/R2 I3=[(ε-(ε/22)R1)]/R3

For part c, I know that inductor has maximum current through it right after switch opens then current slowly decreases to zero with equation Ifinal=Iinitial*e-t/τ. So I guess the currents will be same as in part b for c).

And for d), I don't think there will be any current in the resistors at all.

For e) what do they mean by time constant. Do I solve for tau?

Jordan1361 said:
So if I1=ε/22 then V1=(ε/22)R1 and V2=V3=ε-(ε/22)R1
I2=[(ε-(ε/22)R1]/R2 I3=[(ε-(ε/22)R1)]/R3

For part c, I know that inductor has maximum current through it right after switch opens then current slowly decreases to zero with equation Ifinal=Iinitial*e-t/τ. So I guess the currents will be same as in part b for c).
In the case of (c) the switch is open so what current can flow through R1? So what is the available path for the inductor's current?

Now, and this is important, the diagram defines the individual currents and how to interpret their directions (the arrows). Be sure to check the current directions for part (c) !

And for d), I don't think there will be any current in the resistors at all.
Yes. Can you state why that would be?

For e) what do they mean by time constant. Do I solve for tau?
Yes.

What is the purpose of finding the current for each resistor at different times?

The purpose of finding the current for each resistor at different times is to understand how the flow of electricity changes over time in a circuit. This can help in analyzing the behavior of components and identifying any potential issues or malfunctions.

How is the current for each resistor calculated at different times?

The current for each resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). By measuring the voltage across each resistor and knowing their respective resistances, the current can be determined.

Why is it important to measure the current at different times instead of just once?

Measuring the current at different times allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's behavior. It can reveal changes in current flow due to factors such as component failure, temperature changes, or fluctuations in power source. It also helps in identifying any patterns or trends in the current over time.

What equipment is needed to find the current for each resistor at different times?

To find the current for each resistor at different times, you will need a voltmeter, an ammeter, and a power supply. The voltmeter is used to measure the voltage across each resistor, while the ammeter is used to measure the current flowing through each resistor. The power supply provides the voltage for the circuit.

How can the data collected from finding the current for each resistor at different times be used?

The data collected from finding the current for each resistor at different times can be used for further analysis and troubleshooting of the circuit. It can also be compared to theoretical calculations to check for any discrepancies. Additionally, the data can be used to optimize the circuit's performance and make any necessary adjustments to improve its efficiency.