1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the current through the 22ohm resistor (Kirchhoff's Rules)

1. Jul 29, 2012 #1
    From the image attached:
    physics2.png

A. Calculate the current through the 22Ω resistor.
    B. What is the voltage across ab

Here is what I've done:
    A. )
    I labelled the currents and applied the Junction Rule
    I1 + I2 = I3

-I1*22Ω + 8V + 13*6Ω + 18V - I3*6Ω = 0
    -I1*22Ω + 8V + I2*14Ω - 12V = 0

Which I rearrange into:

2.17A - I1*1.83 = I3 and

I2 = 0.29A + I1*1.57

Inserting these two equations into I1 + I2 = I3

I1 = (2.17A - I1*1.83) - (0.29A + I1*1.57)
    I1 = 0.43A

I3 = 2.17A - (0.43A)*1.83
    I3 = 1.38A

I2 = 0.29A + (0.43A)*1.57
    I2 = 0.96A

Therefore the current through the 22Ω will be 0.43A ?

B.) For this question, I really don't know how to tackle this, do I just do V=I3*R + 18v ?

For R, do I just add up the resistors (6Ω + 6Ω) in series?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the first equation above, the third term would be -I3*6 rather than +I3*6, but I think that's what you meant. Your work following that looks correct, and your answers for the currents look correct.

You want to think of starting at point a and going by any path to point b and add up the voltage changes along the path. Looks like you chose a path along the bottom leg. Yes, you can add the two 6Ω resistors because they are in series. But note that as you go from a to b, you go from the + terminal to the - terminal of the battery. So, that's a negative change of -18V. See what you get and then try a couple of other paths from a to b and see if you get the same answer. Keep in mind that when you go through a resistor in a direction opposite to the current, the voltage change is positive.

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your response!

So I tried two ab paths: through the I1 current and the I3 current

This is what I've gotten:

Vab (bottom) = I3*(6Ω+6Ω) - 18v = -1.40v
    Vab (top) = -I1*22Ω +8v = -1.40v

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks close to the correct answer. No doubt there's some round off error.

See this link for the same problem a couple of weeks ago: Find the current and the voltage; the Circuit Problem

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook