Find the current and the voltage; the Circuit Problem

In summary, the circuit consists of three branches in parallel, with the current through the 22 Ohm resistor being 0.96 A and the voltage across ab being 16.68 V. The addition of the third battery changes the voltage at point B to be -1.32 V relative to point A.
Kate02

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit diagram, see attachment. a. Caluclate the current through the 22 Ohm resistor. b. What is the voltage across ab?

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rule, Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure, but it seems to me that the two upper meshes are in parrallel, and the 3rd one is in series with the two upper. Please, tell me if I am wrong. I know how to solve the problem, I am just confused that the left side of the diagram is like in parrallel, and the right side seems like the lower mesh connects with another to in series. Is it correct?

a.
1st mesh:-
=>22Ωi2 -14Ωi1 = 8V-12V
=>14Ωi1 - 22Ωi2 = 4V -------------(i)
2nd mesh:-
14Ωi1 + 6Ω(i1+i2) + 6Ω(i1+i2) = 12V+18V
=>26i1 + 12i2 = 30 V-----------(ii)
By (i) x 12V + (ii) x 22Ω :- we have
=>i1 = 0.96 amp
Thus i2 = 0.43 amp
b. V = i x R
=>V = (i1+i2) x (R3 +R4)
=>V = (0.96 A+ 0.43A) x (6Ω+6Ω)
=>V = 16.68 Volt

Attachments

• Circuit Problem.jpg
    Circuit Problem.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,145
Physics news on Phys.org
Kate02 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit diagram, see attachment. a. Calculate the current through the 22 Ohm resistor. b. What is the voltage across ab?

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rule, Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure, but it seems to me that the two upper meshes are in parallel, and the 3rd one is in series with the two upper. Please, tell me if I am wrong. I know how to solve the problem, I am just confused that the left side of the diagram is like in parallel, and the right side seems like the lower mesh connects with another to in series. Is it correct?
I wouldn't describe the situation that way, in terms of series & parallel.

--- but your equations are essentially correct.

a.
1st mesh:-
=>22Ωi2 -14Ωi1 = 8V-12V
=>14Ωi1 - 22Ωi2 = 4V -------------(i)
2nd mesh:-
14Ωi1 + 6Ω(i1+i2) + 6Ω(i1+i2) = 12V+18V
=>26Ωi1 + 12Ωi2 = 30 V-----------(ii)
By (i) x 12V + (ii) x 22Ω :- we have
=>i1 = 0.96 amp
Thus i2 = 0.43 amp
b. V = i x R
=>V = (i1+i2) x (R3 +R4)
=>V = (0.96 A+ 0.43A) x (6Ω+6Ω)
=>V = 16.68 Volt

attachment.php?attachmentid=49172&d=1342657724.jpg
Hello Kate02. Welcome to PF !

Multiply equation (i) by 12, not by 12 V. --- no units.

Multiply equation (i) by 22, not by 22 Ω .

Your answers for the currents are correct to two decimal places.

When you found the voltage across AB, you forgot to include the 18 V battery.

Hello. Note that you could redraw the circuit as shown below and it would be entirely equivalent to your circuit. If you think of it as made of three branches, the three branches are in parallel (but, of course, none of the individual resistors are in parallel).

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 650
Thank you, guys! I will solve it as you suggested, and we'll see if it works!

So, I just added the 18 V battery to the equation for the part b) and got 34.68 V, right? I hope so. Correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited:
Kate02 said:
Thank you, guys! I will solve it as you suggested, and we'll see if it works!

So, I just added the 18 V battery to the equation for the part b) and got 34.68 V, right? I hope so. Correct me if I am wrong!
Not correct.

The current through the two 6Ω resistors produces a voltage drop, right to left, which is the direction of i1 and i2 through them.

SammyS said:
Not correct.

The current through the two 6Ω resistors produces a voltage drop, right to left, which is the direction of i1 and i2 through them.

Ah, now, I see! So, 16.68V-18V= -1.32V, right?

Kate02 said:
Ah, now, I see! So, 16.68V-18V= -1.32V, right?
Yes, that's the voltage at point B relative to the voltage at point A .

Great! Thanks a lot!

FAQ: Find the current and the voltage; the Circuit Problem

1. How do I find the current in a circuit?

To find the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction.

2. How do I find the voltage in a circuit?

To find the voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V = I*R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of all voltage rises.

3. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge, while voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In other words, current is the movement of electrons, while voltage is the force that drives the movement.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit can be calculated by adding all of the individual resistances together. If the resistors are in series, you can simply add the values. If the resistors are in parallel, you can use the equation 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where R(total) is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning that the current is the same at all points in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, meaning that the current is divided among the branches. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

Back