Calculate the distance the car coasts before it stops

• Thread starter donrichmond
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, a cat traveling at 45km/h slows down at a constant 0.50m/s2. Using the equation d = vi + 1/2at^2, the distance the car coasts before stopping is 1125 meters. It takes approximately 11.25 seconds for the cat to come to a complete stop. During the first and fifth seconds, the cat travels 22.5 meters and 90 meters respectively. The calculations for these numbers were not provided.
donrichmond

Homework Statement

a cat traveling at 45km/h slows down at a constant 0.50m/s2. calculate the distance the car coasts before it stops, the time it takes to stop and the distance it travels during the first and fifth seconds

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried so far? Which part is causing you trouble? You must show some effort to get help.

i've been working on this for awhile and I'm just lost

donrichmond said:
i've been working on this for awhile and I'm just lost

i came up with 11.25min to stop and it'll travel 1125 m before it stops?

Can you show you calculated those numbers?

What is the formula for calculating the distance a car coasts before it stops?

The formula for calculating the distance a car coasts before it stops is: distance = velocity x time.

How do I determine the velocity of the car?

To determine the velocity of the car, you will need to measure the car's speed before it begins coasting. This can be done using a speedometer or by using the car's initial position and time to calculate the initial velocity.

Can I use the same formula for any type of car?

Yes, the formula for calculating the distance a car coasts before it stops can be applied to all types of cars, as long as the initial velocity and coasting time are accurately measured.

What factors can affect the distance a car coasts before stopping?

The distance a car coasts before stopping can be affected by various factors such as the car's initial velocity, the road surface and incline, and the presence of any external forces like wind or friction.

Is there a way to increase the distance a car coasts before stopping?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the distance a car coasts before stopping. This includes maintaining a higher initial velocity, choosing a road with a gentle incline, and reducing any external forces that may slow down the car's coasting speed.