Newton's laws question -- a car coasts to a stop on a level road

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1490 kg car traveling at 22.2 m/s with a friction force of 288 N. The goal is to find the distance the car will coast. The student has calculated the force to be 32790 N, but is stuck on finding the acceleration. After some guidance, the student realizes that the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the force by the mass, and using the equation f=ma. The acceleration is found to be 0.193 m/s^2. By using the initial velocity and acceleration, the student can now find the time it takes for the car to stop and ultimately determine the distance it will coast.
rmalski

Homework Statement

A 1490 kg car is is traveling at a speed of 22.2 m/s when the driver let's the car coast on a level road. The friction on the car slowing it down is 288 N. How far will the car coast?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the force but i cannot find the distance, i found that the force is 32790N but i am stuck after that

Physics news on Phys.org
rmalski said:

Homework Statement

A 1490 kg car is is traveling at a speed of 22.2 m/s when the driver let's the car coast on a level road. The friction on the car slowing it down is 288 N. How far will the car coast?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the force but i cannot find the distance, i found that the force is 32790N but i am stuck after that

Welcome to the PF.

Please show in detail your calculations so far. How did you get that number? You are given a force F and a mass m, use the equation you wrote to calculate the acceleration (deceleration in this case). How can you use the deceleration to figure out the time until the car stops?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Please show in detail your calculations so far. How did you get that number? You are given a force F and a mass m, use the equation you wrote to calculate the acceleration (deceleration in this case). How can you use the deceleration to figure out the time until the car stops?
well first i found the force by multiplying m and a, then i subtracted the friction force which is 288n. i got the force as 32790 and this is where i got stuck. i thought the acceleration is 22.2m/s^2?

rmalski said:
well first i found the force by multiplying m and a, then i subtracted the friction force which is 288n. i got the force as 32790 and this is where i got stuck. i thought the acceleration is 22.2m/s^2?

You are given Force and mass, not acceleration a. You are given the initial velocity of 22.2m/s, which you will use after you calculate the acceleration to figure out how long it takes to stop.

ok that's where i messed up, so the acceleration is 288/1490 which is .193m/s^2?

ok i found it thank you

Great! :-)

Now post your other thread, unless you've figured it all the way out too... :-)

1. What is Newton's first law of motion and how does it apply to a coasting car?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of the coasting car, the car will continue to move forward at a constant speed unless an external force, such as friction or air resistance, slows it down.

2. What is the force that causes the car to eventually stop?

The force that causes the car to stop is primarily friction. As the car's wheels turn, they create friction with the road surface, which acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion and eventually brings it to a stop. Additionally, air resistance also plays a small role in slowing down the car.

3. How does Newton's second law of motion apply to a coasting car?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of the coasting car, as the car slows down, the net force acting on it decreases, causing the acceleration to also decrease until it eventually reaches zero and the car stops.

4. Can the car come to a complete stop without any external forces acting on it?

No, according to Newton's first law, an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, in the absence of any external forces, the car would continue to coast at a constant speed.

5. How does the road's surface affect the car's coasting distance?

The type and condition of the road's surface can affect the car's coasting distance. A rougher surface will create more friction, causing the car to slow down more quickly and have a shorter coasting distance. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the car to coast for a longer distance before coming to a stop.