Find the distance the car travels before it stops

  • Thread starter Thread starter scoles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
scoles
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
A car wants to stop. The coefficient of friction is 0.3 and the mass of the car is 2000 kg. The car is traveling at 50 km/hr. Find the distance the car travels before it stops.

I know that the force of friction= the coefficient of friction x the normal force. I also know that I need to change 50 km/hr to m/s. I can't quite figure out how to find the normal force on this one(would i subtract friction from it or add it or what), and I don't see how I could find the distance it would take to stop because I do not know the time or the acceleration. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The work of the frictional force must equal the change of kinetic energy of the car, start with that.
 
radou said:
The work of the frictional force must equal the change of kinetic energy of the car, start with that.

so does that mean that the force of friction equals the change in velocity?