Calculate the energy in a capacitor's electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
MisterP
Messages
47
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Capacitor has a charge of 0.008C. Capacity is 2 μF. Need to calculate energy of electric field. Answer: 32J

Homework Equations


E = q2/2*C

The Attempt at a Solution


This seems right equation, but instead of 32J I get 16J.. any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MisterP said:

Homework Statement


Capacitor has a charge of 0.008C. Capacity is 2 μF. Need to calculate energy of electric field. Answer: 32J

Homework Equations


E = q2/2*C

The Attempt at a Solution


This seems right equation, but instead of 32J I get 16J.. any ideas?

I think you are correct and the stated answer is wrong. Unless I am missing some conceptual insight, I believe they have made a calculation error.