Calculate the energy in a capacitor's electric field

In summary, the correct equation for calculating energy of an electric field is E = q^2/2C and using the given values, the energy comes out to be 16J, not 32J as stated in the answer.
MisterP

Homework Statement

Capacitor has a charge of 0.008C. Capacity is 2 μF. Need to calculate energy of electric field. Answer: 32J

Homework Equations

E = q2/2*C

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems right equation, but instead of 32J I get 16J.. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
MisterP said:

Homework Statement

Capacitor has a charge of 0.008C. Capacity is 2 μF. Need to calculate energy of electric field. Answer: 32J

Homework Equations

E = q2/2*C

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems right equation, but instead of 32J I get 16J.. any ideas?

I think you are correct and the stated answer is wrong. Unless I am missing some conceptual insight, I believe they have made a calculation error.

What is a capacitor's electric field?

A capacitor's electric field is the force field created by the separation of positive and negative charges on the plates of the capacitor. It is responsible for storing electrical energy in the capacitor.

How do you calculate the energy in a capacitor's electric field?

The energy in a capacitor's electric field can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2CV^2, where C is the capacitance of the capacitor and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

What is the relationship between the energy in a capacitor's electric field and its capacitance?

The energy in a capacitor's electric field is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the energy stored in the electric field also increases.

How is the energy in a capacitor's electric field related to its voltage?

The energy in a capacitor's electric field is directly proportional to the square of its voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the energy stored in the electric field increases exponentially.

What factors can affect the energy in a capacitor's electric field?

The energy in a capacitor's electric field can be affected by the capacitance, voltage, and the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor. Additionally, any external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the energy stored in the electric field.