Calculate the force F necessary to keep the velocity constant.

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where a 10-kilogram block is pushed along a rough surface by a constant force F. The force F is changed to a larger constant value F', resulting in an increase in kinetic energy and acceleration of the block. The coefficient of sliding friction and gravitational acceleration are also given. The questions involve calculating the force F necessary to keep the velocity constant, the force F' needed to increase the kinetic energy by 60 joules, and the acceleration of the block. The expert advises the use of Newton's first law and the work-energy theorem to solve the problems, and clarifies that force and energy should not be equated.
AraProdieur
I need help!

Ok, so here's the problem.
A 10-kilogram block is pushed along a rough horizontal surface by a constant horizontal force F as shown above. At time t=0, the velocity v of the block is 6.0 meters per second in the same direction as the force. The coefficient of sliding friction is 0.2. Assume g= 10 meters per second squared.
A) Calculate the force F necessary to keep the velocity constant.

The force is now changed to a larger constant value F'. The block accelerates so that its kinetic energy increases by 60 joules while it slides a distance of 4.0 meters.

B) Calculate the force F'.

C) Calculate the acceleration of the block.

Ok, so far I have that the work done by kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2 by which would be simplified to 180 Joules. Since there is friction involved, I would account for the Force of friction which is the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force in which the total would be 2.
Now would the force F be 180 Joules to keep it constant?

and for B since the kinetic energy is increased by 60 Joules, then the total kinetic energy put on the object would be 240 Joules. So would that be force F'?

and for the acceleration of the block, would I use V^2= Vo^2 + 2a(deltax)?

Physics news on Phys.org
AraProdieur said:
Ok, so here's the problem.
A 10-kilogram block is pushed along a rough horizontal surface by a constant horizontal force F as shown above. At time t=0, the velocity v of the block is 6.0 meters per second in the same direction as the force. The coefficient of sliding friction is 0.2. Assume g= 10 meters per second squared.
A) Calculate the force F necessary to keep the velocity constant.

The force is now changed to a larger constant value F'. The block accelerates so that its kinetic energy increases by 60 joules while it slides a distance of 4.0 meters.

B) Calculate the force F'.

C) Calculate the acceleration of the block.

Ok, so far I have that the work done by kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2 by which would be simplified to 180 Joules. Since there is friction involved, I would account for the Force of friction which is the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force in which the total would be 2.
the normal force is mg which is 100 Newtons, so the friction force is 20 Newtons.
Now would the force F be 180 Joules to keep it constant?
you are confusing force with energy. What does Newton 1 tell you about objects moving at constant velocity? What then must be the applied force F?
and for B since the kinetic energy is increased by 60 Joules, then the total kinetic energy put on the object would be 240 Joules. So would that be force F'?
you can't equate force and energy, they are 2 different animals. Are you familiar with the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done by all forces acting on the block must be equal to the change in Kinetic energy of the block?

So then how would I go about solving these problems?

1. What is the formula for calculating force to keep velocity constant?

The formula for calculating force to keep velocity constant is F = m * v, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for force in this calculation is Newtons (N).

3. Does the mass of the object affect the force needed to keep velocity constant?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the force needed to keep velocity constant. The greater the mass, the greater the force needed.

4. Can you use this formula to calculate force for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating force to keep velocity constant. For other types of motion, different formulas may be used.

5. How does changing the velocity affect the force needed to keep it constant?

Changing the velocity does not affect the force needed to keep it constant. The force required to maintain a constant velocity is independent of the velocity itself.