Calculate the Internal Energy of Monoatomic Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
themagiciant95
Messages
56
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement



Re-arranging the equations of potential (internal) energy in a monoatomic gas, i get this differential equation:

[tex]\gamma (dV/V ) + (dP/P) = 0.[/tex]
where V is volume and P is pressure.
I have to integrate it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried, but i wasnt able to understand how (and why) is it possible to integrate an equation with different functions and different differentials in it. My intuition tells me : just integrate ! , but i don't know why does it works...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes it seems to work in this form, use that ##\int \frac{dV}{V}=lnV-lnV_0=ln\frac{V}{V_0}## and similar for the other term with P. Its because the differentials and the denominators are for the same variable (V or P) so integration works and gives the logarithmic function as result.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest
Delta was faster, but:
Well, what do you get when you
themagiciant95 said:
just integrate
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
That's very nice.
In this case P and V are functions of which variables ?
 
They are independent variables. Solving the differential equation gives you a relationship between the two.

What did you get when you 'just integrate'd ?
 
Because it's more comfortable to write ##P\;V^\gamma = C \quad ## :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: themagiciant95
How is it possible to integrate independent variables ? I always integrated functions. I am sorry , but i can't clearly understand.
A friend suggested me to try a "dummy variable" in order to parametrize U,V,P . But i didnt find anything explaining on the web about this...
 
Last edited:
themagiciant95 said:
How is it possible to integrate independent variables ? I always integrated functions. I am sorry , but i can't clearly understand.
A friend suggested me to try a "dummy variable" in order to parametrize U,V,P . But i didnt find anything explaining on the web about this...

You can write P,V as functions of a dummy variable t, that is P=P(t) , V=V(t). Then the differentials dP and dV will become ##dP=P'(t)dt##, ##dV=V'(t)dt## so at the end you ll integrate both functions ##\frac{P'(t)}{P(t)},\frac{V'(t)}{V(t)}## with respect to the dummy variable t. The end result will not change due to the chain rule of derivatives, we ll have for example ##\int \frac{V'(t)}{V(t)}dt=lnV(t)+C##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest and BvU
Thanks so much. Do you know where i can find some theoric math materials about "integration of independent variables" (just as this case) ?
 
Sorry I can't recommend English books, I just use my textbooks from my undergrad studies 20 years ago, which are written in greek :D...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: themagiciant95
I hope I didn't confuse you with my post #5, I called both variables independent and then continued with 'solving the differential equation gives you a relationship between the two'.

That isn't as contradictory as it seems: it means theat there is only one degree of freedom: change P (which you can do) and V changes, and vice versa: change V (which you can also do) and P changes.

If you replace one of the two by a ##y## and the oher by an ##x## you are close to textbook material on differential equations. Your own familiar and trusted calculus book is probably the best place to freshen up your skills.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest