Calculate the location of something

• Thread starter snocavotia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of tracking the motion of a single object, specifically a hand, without the use of cameras. Suggestions are made to use radio triangulation, accelerometers, or ground sensors, and to consider using a transponder attached to the object. The maximum detection range and desired specifications for the tracking system are also mentioned. The idea of using a Theremin or Disney's Touche sensor technology is also brought up, as well as the potential use of sonar. However, there are concerns about the size and ability of sonar to track a single body part accurately.
snocavotia
is it possible to calculate the location of say my right hand and track its motion without using any cameras.(using radio triangulation,accelerometer,etc..) i would like to have some sort of ground sensor. and i only want to track that one object not several, i would like to know the distance from the sensor, height of object being tracked, location relative to the location of the ground sensor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have several ideas for you. But first, can you use a transponder attached to the object? What will the maximum detection/tracking range be? Will you please describe what you are aiming for in some greater detail? A designer needs "design specifications" or "anticapated operating characteristics" to make a reasonable proposal.

on the issue of sonar. it seems very intruiging but there may be a few probelems i need the tracker to be a small bar roughly 1"x4" and can sonar be used to track a single body part?

1. How do I calculate the location of an object using coordinates?

In order to calculate the location of an object using coordinates, you will need to use a mathematical formula that takes into account the distance and direction from a known reference point. This formula is typically based on the principles of trigonometry and geometry and can be found in most textbooks or online resources.

2. Can I use a GPS device to calculate the location of something?

Yes, a GPS (Global Positioning System) device uses satellites to determine the location of an object on Earth. By receiving signals from multiple satellites, the GPS device can triangulate the position of the object and display its coordinates.

3. How accurate are location calculations?

The accuracy of location calculations depends on the method used and the available data. GPS devices, for example, can provide location accuracy within a few meters, while other methods may have larger margins of error. It is important to consider the precision and reliability of the data used in the calculation.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of location calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of location calculations include the quality and availability of data, the method used, and external influences such as weather or interference. It is important to consider these factors and use multiple methods or data sources to increase accuracy.

5. How do I calculate the location of something in 3D space?

To calculate the location of something in 3D space, you will need to use a coordinate system that includes three dimensions: length, width, and height. This can be achieved by using a 3D Cartesian coordinate system or other methods such as spherical coordinates. The formula used will depend on the coordinate system chosen.