Calculate the mass defect of a carbon-12 nucleus

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
amazingphysics2255
Messages
60
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
Carbon-12 nucleus, has a mass of 11.9967u. Given: proton mass = 1.00728 u;
neutron mass = 1.00866 u

Calculate the mass defect of carbon-12 nucleus.
Relevant Equations
N/a
My attempt: Proton 1.00728ux6+ Neutron 1.00866ux6=12.09564u

12.09564u-11.9967u=0.09894u

E=mc^2 E=0.09894x(3.00x10^8ms-^1)^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think you have the correct idea, you should also look at the exact definition of the mass defect, as I learn it is not exactly the final answer you give. In fact, it seems obvious that de mass defect should have dimensions of mass, not energy.
 
Gaussian97 said:
Well, I think you have the correct idea, you should also look at the exact definition of the mass defect, as I learn it is not exactly the final answer you give. In fact, it seems obvious that de mass defect should have dimensions of mass, not energy.
My final answer for the mass defect was 0.09894u. I was then going to calculate the Energy in the reaction. @Gaussian97
 
Last edited:
Ok, then I think it's right but, are you sure that you want the energy in these units?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU
I hadn't solved the E=mc^2 but I think it equals 8.9046x10^15J
 
No it doesn't -- Units, Units, Units
 
Do I have to convert 0.09894u to kg ? how do I do that ?
 
so 1.64293721x10^-28x(3.00x10^8)^2

=1.478643489x10^17J ?
 
amazingphysics2255 said:
so 1.64293721x10^-28x(3.00x10^8)^2

=1.478643489x10^17J ?
Re-check your calculation. The mantissa looks right, but the exponent is off.

Also, if you're going to use that much precision with your mass (you originally had 6 digits), you might as well use a more precise value for the speed of light, [itex]c = 2.99792 \times 10^8\ \rm{\frac{m}{s}}[/itex].
 
so 1.642938473x10^-28 kg is the changed conversion of 0.09894u

So 1.642938473 can be rounded to approx 1.642938 (6 s.f) so 1.642938x10^-28(3.00x10^8)^2 = 1.4786442x10^-11J Is this closer ?
 
amazingphysics2255 said:
so 1.642938473x10^-28 kg is the changed conversion of 0.09894u

So 1.642938473 can be rounded to approx 1.642938 (6 s.f) so 1.642938x10^-28(3.00x10^8)^2 = 1.4786442x10^-11J Is this closer ?
That looks mostly good. Probably close enough. Again, there might be an issue with precision (due to the lower precision with the speed of light value used) but it's probably not a big deal.
 
Actually, because of the subtraction of two large but close numbers, the precision left over is only 4 digits as already shown in the OP !
Nevertheless, 3e8 for ##c## is too crude.