Calculate the mass of propane that has been used

  • Thread starter Thread starter EzaMoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Propane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
EzaMoo
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cylinder 1.00 m tall with an inside diameter of 0.120 m is used to hold propane gas (molar mass: 44.1 g.mol-1) for use in a barbeque. It is initially filled with a gas until the gauge pressure is 1.30 x 10^7 Pa and the temperature is 22.0⁰C. The temperature of the gas remains constant as it is partially emptied out of the tank, until the gauge pressure is 2.50 x 10^5 Pa. Calculate the mass of propane that has been used.

Homework Equations



1.. pV = nRT
2.. p1V1 / T1 = p2V2 / T2

The Attempt at a Solution



I am really wrong here but just need a guiding hand...

The volume of the cylinder is 0.11309733m^3
From Eq 1 I get the number of moles = 60 then total mass = 60 x 44.1 = 2643.64g
Then did this again for pressure 2 (2.5 x 10^5 Pa) to get = 50.84g
Difference being 2592.8g of gas used but this seems large.

I then looked at Eq 2 and I got V2 = 0.588m^3
Not really sure where to go with that...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Second equation assumes number of moles of gas have not changed - so it is of no use, some of the gas was burnt.

Your first approach looks OK, just check your math again. Mass difference is much larger than you think. Seems like you have problems with position of the decimal point.
 
Hi Borek,

I typed that wrong! It should be 0.011309733m^3

The final value of 2592.8g was calculate from that figure. So is this what you get?
 
Obviously when it comes to calculating volume of cylinder I am not better than you

Your result is OK, just watch significant figures.

--