Calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air

In summary, at 0C and 1 atm pressure, the densities of air, oxygen, and nitrogen are 1.293, 1.429, and 1.251 kg/m3 respectively. Using the information that gas volumes are additive, we can express the density of air as a function of composition (x fraction of nitrogen and 1-x fraction of oxygen) and solve for x. The resulting equation is PN2 + PO2 = 1. Ultimately, this can help us calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air.
zorro

Homework Statement

At 0C and 1 atm pressure the densities of air, oxygen and nitrogen are 1.293, 1.429 and 1.251 kg/m3. Calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air, assuming only these two gases to be present.

The Attempt at a Solution

Which equation should we use here?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows the solution??

Gas volumes are additive. If you mix some volumes of oxygen and nitrogen, final volume will equal sum of volumes, also final mass will equal sum of masses. Using this information try to express the density of the air as a function of composition (say assuming x fraction of nitrogen, and 1-x fraction of oxygen). Solve for x.

--

I tried to derive an equation but got stuck.
Can you just write the equation? That will help me in understanding the problem.

I would have to derive it by myself, I didn't.

Please show how you started and where you got stuck.

V = VO2 + VN2
nT/P = nO2/PO2 + nN2/PN2 ( as temperature is constant )
P = 1atm
Dividing the equation by nO2 + nN2
We get mole fractions on both sides.
On solving I get PN2 + PO2 = 1
which I don't think is of any use.

Abdul Quadeer said:
V = VO2 + VN2

OK

nT/P = nO2/PO2 + nN2/PN2

I told you to write mass balance - that is, express mass of each gas as a function of its volume and density. Pressure and temperature are of no use here.

--

Thanks a lot Sir!
I got it :smile:

Don't Sir me.

You may call me Mr. pH if you need to use a title.

--

:biggrin:
Sure, Mr. PH

1. What is the percentage of nitrogen in air?

The percentage of nitrogen in air is approximately 78%. This means that for every 100 molecules of air, 78 of them are nitrogen.

2. How do you calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air?

To calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air, you can divide the number of nitrogen molecules by the total number of air molecules and multiply by 100. This will give you the percentage of nitrogen present in air.

3. Why is nitrogen the most abundant gas in air?

Nitrogen is the most abundant gas in air because it is a relatively inert gas, meaning it does not easily react with other elements. This allows it to remain stable and make up a large portion of the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Does the percentage of nitrogen in air vary?

Yes, the percentage of nitrogen in air can vary slightly depending on location and altitude. In some areas, it may be slightly higher or lower than the average of 78%.

5. What is the impact of a change in the percentage of nitrogen in air?

A change in the percentage of nitrogen in air can have significant impacts on the environment and living organisms. For example, an increase in nitrogen levels due to pollution can lead to harmful algal blooms and damage to ecosystems. On the other hand, a decrease in nitrogen levels can affect plant growth and nutrient availability in soil.