Calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air

  • Thread starter Thread starter zorro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Nitrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 13K views
zorro
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


At 0C and 1 atm pressure the densities of air, oxygen and nitrogen are 1.293, 1.429 and 1.251 kg/m3. Calculate the percentage of nitrogen in air, assuming only these two gases to be present.

The Attempt at a Solution



Which equation should we use here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gas volumes are additive. If you mix some volumes of oxygen and nitrogen, final volume will equal sum of volumes, also final mass will equal sum of masses. Using this information try to express the density of the air as a function of composition (say assuming x fraction of nitrogen, and 1-x fraction of oxygen). Solve for x.

--
 
I tried to derive an equation but got stuck.
Can you just write the equation? That will help me in understanding the problem.
 
I would have to derive it by myself, I didn't.

Please show how you started and where you got stuck.
 
V = VO2 + VN2
nT/P = nO2/PO2 + nN2/PN2 ( as temperature is constant )
P = 1atm
Dividing the equation by nO2 + nN2
We get mole fractions on both sides.
On solving I get PN2 + PO2 = 1
which I don't think is of any use.
 
Abdul Quadeer said:
V = VO2 + VN2

OK

nT/P = nO2/PO2 + nN2/PN2

I told you to write mass balance - that is, express mass of each gas as a function of its volume and density. Pressure and temperature are of no use here.

--
 
Don't Sir me.

You may call me Mr. pH if you need to use a title.

--