Finding the weight of Nitrogen in Air

In summary, air consists of approximately 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, and 1% Argon by volume. The atomic weights of Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon are 14, 16, and 40 respectively. When using the ideal gas law to calculate the mass of each gas, we find that the weight of Nitrogen in air is approximately 75.4%, which is close to but not exactly one of the given choices. This could be due to rounding or precision differences in the calculations.
thevinciz

Homework Statement

Air consists of a approximately 78% Nitrogen in volume,21% Oxygen and 1% Argon. The atomic weight of Nitrogen is 14, that of Oxygen 16 and that of Argon 40

(1) Nitrogen occupies air in weight by

(a) 76% (b) 77% (c) 78% (d) 79%

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have Nitrogen : 0.78L
Oxygen : 0.21L
Ar : 0.01L

And I used PV=nRT to find mass of each of gases
So I got mass of Argon = 0.4P/RT
mass of Nitrogen = 21.84P/RT
mass of Oxygen = 6.72P/RT
so weight of Nitrogen in air is 21.84/28.96 = 0.754, change into percent = 75.4%
but it's not the choices. What did I miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
thevinciz said:
so weight of Nitrogen in air is 21.84/28.96 = 0.754, change into percent = 75.4%
but it's not the choices. What did I miss?
You don't seem to have missed anything. I would round up and choose 76% as the best answer.

It's probably a question of rounding, how many decimal places you take etc. E.g. see Table 1 in http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/123106002/MODULE%20-%20I/Lecture%201.pdf. It's very close to 75.5%, so it could go 75 or 76. Using the numbers (and precision) you are given, I agree with your answer.

Thank you very much everyone

1. How much nitrogen is present in the Earth's atmosphere?

Nitrogen makes up approximately 78% of the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How do scientists determine the weight of nitrogen in air?

Scientists use various methods, such as gas chromatography, to separate and analyze the different components of air, including nitrogen, and calculate their weights.

3. Why is it important to know the weight of nitrogen in air?

Nitrogen is an essential element for life and understanding the amount present in the atmosphere helps scientists study its role in the environment and its effects on climate change.

4. How does the weight of nitrogen in air affect air pressure?

The weight of nitrogen contributes to the overall air pressure, as it is one of the main components of air. Changes in the amount of nitrogen can affect air pressure and weather patterns.

5. Can the weight of nitrogen in air change over time?

The weight of nitrogen in air remains relatively constant, as it is a major component of the Earth's atmosphere. However, human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, can alter the balance of gases in the atmosphere and potentially affect the weight of nitrogen over time.