What percentage of N2O4 decomposes at 370K ?

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
To solve this problem, we need to use the equilibrium constant and Gibbs free energy equation. We first need to determine the equilibrium constant at 370 K, which we can calculate using the given data. Then we can use the equilibrium constant and Gibbs free energy equation to solve for the percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370 K."In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the equilibrium constant and Gibbs free energy equation. We first need to determine the equilibrium constant at 370 K, which we can calculate using the given data. Then we can use the equilibrium constant and Gibbs free energy equation to solve for the percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370 K.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Dinitrogen tetroxide decomposes to nitrogen dioxide:
N2O4(g)→2NO2(g) ΔHorxn=55.3kJ
At 298 K, a reaction vessel initially contains 0.100 atm of N2O4. When equilibrium is reached, 58% of the N2O4 has decomposed to NO2.

What percentage of N2O4 decomposes at 370K ? Assume that the initial pressure of N2O4 is the same (0.100 atm).

How is this problem done?
We know:
Delta H of reaction = 55.3 kJ
Equilibrium means Delta G = 0 AT 298 K and 58% decomposition.

We need to find what percentage of N2O4 decomposes at 370K.

I'm not entirely sure what equations I should be using. We are talking about Gibbs Free Energy. This is a mast. chem. problem and the last of the 40-50 I have left.

If someone could guide me towards a correct equation, I can work this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to first determine the equilibrium constant at 370 K. Do you know how to do that from the data provided? If you knew the equilibrium constant at 370 K, how would you then proceed to solve the problem?

Chet

Likes RJLiberator

What is N2O4?

N2O4 is the chemical formula for dinitrogen tetroxide, a colorless and odorless gas that is commonly used as an oxidizing agent and rocket propellant.

What is decomposition?

Decomposition is a chemical reaction in which a compound breaks down into simpler substances. In the case of N2O4, decomposition refers to the breakdown of the compound into nitrogen dioxide (NO2) gas.

What is the significance of 370K?

370K is the specific temperature at which the percentage of N2O4 that decomposes is being measured. This temperature is commonly used in experiments and calculations involving N2O4 decomposition.

What factors affect the percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370K?

The percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370K can be affected by various factors, such as pressure, concentration, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of decomposition and thus impact the percentage of N2O4 that is converted into NO2.

How is the percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370K determined?

The percentage of N2O4 that decomposes at 370K is determined through experiments and calculations. The amount of N2O4 and NO2 present at different time intervals is measured, and the percentage of N2O4 that has decomposed is calculated using the initial and final concentrations of the compound.