Calculate the speed of car for maximum economy

In summary: My point is that extreme points can be found at 1) points at which the derivative is 0; 2) endpoints of the domain, in case the domain is limited; 3) points at which the derivative doesn't exist, but the underlying function is defined.Examples of cases 2 and 3:##f(x) = \sqrt x## (case 2) -- The derivative is never zero, but the function has a global minimum at x = 0.##g(x) = |x|## (case 3) -- The derivative is never zero, and fails to exist at x = 0, at which g has a global minimum.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
differentiation
This is the problem,

1640834034666.png

This is the textbook solution ; i think the textbook solution is not correct!

1640834121291.png

My thought,
##S_{max}## will be given by $$\frac {dy}{dS}=0$$
$$\frac {dy}{dS}=\frac {-1}{400}S+\frac {1}{5}=0$$
$$S=80$$
It is maximum economy because ##y{''}<0##, i.e by use of the second derivative test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
chwala said:
View attachment 294885
My thought,
$$S_{max}=\frac {dy}{dS}=0$$
This equation doesn't make sense, as it says that ##S_{max} = \frac {dy}{dS}## (not true) and that ####S_{max} = 0## (also not true).
I understand what you're trying to say, but this isn't the right way to say it.
chwala said:
$$\frac {dy}{dS}=\frac {-1}{400}S+\frac {1}{5}=0$$
$$S=80$$
It is maximum economy because ##y{''}<0##, i.e by use of the second derivative test.
I get 80 (km/hr) as well.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
This equation doesn't make sense, as it says that ##S_{max} = \frac {dy}{dS}## (not true) and that ####S_{max} = 0## (also not true).
I understand what you're trying to say, but this isn't the right way to say it.

I get 80 (km/hr) as well.
Let me re-phrase that...

chwala said:
Let me re-phrase that...
Setting dy/dS to 0 is one way of finding extreme points, one of which may or may not be a maximum point.

Mark44 said:
Setting dy/dS to 0 is one way of finding extreme points, one of which may or may not be a maximum point.
That's why we use the second derivative test to ascertain that...Looks like textbook guys were after all wrong. Cheers Mark.

chwala said:
That's why we use the second derivative test to ascertain that.
My point is that extreme points can be found at 1) points at which the derivative is 0; 2) endpoints of the domain, in case the domain is limited; 3) points at which the derivative doesn't exist, but the underlying function is defined.
Examples of cases 2 and 3:
##f(x) = \sqrt x## (case 2) -- The derivative is never zero, but the function has a global minimum at x = 0.
##g(x) = |x|## (case 3) -- The derivative is never zero, and fails to exist at x = 0, at which g has a global minimum.

Likes chwala

1. What is the purpose of calculating the speed of a car for maximum economy?

The purpose of calculating the speed of a car for maximum economy is to determine the most efficient speed at which the car should be driven in order to achieve the best fuel economy. This can help reduce fuel costs and minimize the environmental impact of driving.

2. How is the speed of a car for maximum economy calculated?

The speed of a car for maximum economy is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This can be done using a GPS device or by manually measuring the distance and time.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a car for maximum economy?

The speed of a car for maximum economy can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the car, road conditions, wind resistance, and driving habits. These factors can impact the efficiency of the engine and the amount of fuel consumed.

4. Is there a specific speed that is considered the best for maximum economy?

There is no specific speed that is considered the best for maximum economy as it can vary depending on the make and model of the car, as well as external factors such as weather and terrain. However, in general, driving at a moderate and consistent speed can help improve fuel efficiency.

5. How often should the speed of a car for maximum economy be calculated?

The speed of a car for maximum economy should be calculated periodically, especially if there are changes in driving habits or external factors. It is also important to note that driving at a constant speed for extended periods of time can also help improve fuel efficiency.