Calculate the speed of the particle

  • Thread starter Thread starter mkwok
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mkwok
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
A simple pendulum, consists of an object suspended by a string. The object is assumed to be a particle. The string, with its top end fixed, has negligible mass and does not stretch. In the absence of air friction, the system oscillates by swinging back and forth in a vertical plane. If the string is 2.70 m long and makes an initial angle of 30.5° with the vertical, calculate the speed of the particle at the following positions.

(a) at the lowest point in its trajectory

(b) when the angle is 15.0°


I thought I could use ac = V^2/r.. but I got the wrong answers
anyone have any hints for me on what I use for formulas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy (gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy). Take the bottom position as your reference point.
 
In free space, umm it doesn't.

You have a hypothetical string of no mass in with a hypothetical end point. Are we to assume it is in a hypothetical Earth gravity or some other space?