1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the speed of the particle

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    A simple pendulum, consists of an object suspended by a string. The object is assumed to be a particle. The string, with its top end fixed, has negligible mass and does not stretch. In the absence of air friction, the system oscillates by swinging back and forth in a vertical plane. If the string is 2.70 m long and makes an initial angle of 30.5° with the vertical, calculate the speed of the particle at the following positions.

(a) at the lowest point in its trajectory

(b) when the angle is 15.0°

I thought I could use ac = V^2/r.. but I got the wrong answers
    anyone have any hints for me on what I use for formulas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Try conservation of energy (gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy). Take the bottom position as your reference point.

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    In free space, umm it doesn't.

You have a hypothetical string of no mass in with a hypothetical end point. Are we to assume it is in a hypothetical Earth gravity or some other space?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?