Calculate the tension in the rod

Thus, the tension in the steel rod can be calculated by using the formula F/A = Y * delta L/L, where F is the tension force, A is the cross-sectional area of the rod, Y is Young's modulus, delta L is the change in length, and L is the original length. In this case, delta L can be calculated using the formula delta L = L * alpha * delta T, where L is the original length, alpha is the average coefficient of linear expansion, and delta T is the change in temperature. Plugging in the given values, we can find the tension in the rod to be 2.29 * 10^6 N. In summary, the tension in a steel rod can be calculated by
Dr.Wasim

Homework Statement

A steel rod 4.00 cm in diameter is heated so that its temperature increases by 70.0 C. it is then fastened between tow rigid supports. The rod is allowed to cool to its original temperature. Assuming that Young's modulus for the steel is 20.6 * 10^10 N/m^2
and that its avarege coefficient of linear expansion is 11 * 10^-6 1/C , Calculate the
tension in the rod.

Homework Equations

Delta L = L1 * alfa ( avarege coefficient of linear expansion ) * delta T

and

F / A = Y delta L / L

The Attempt at a Solution

I found delta L / L from first law above

then i found tension from second law

Is this true ?? please i need the answer today

Best wishes for you

Physics news on Phys.org
please help me

today the last time for answer

Your method is correct.

But i doubt in my method because the rod's length will decrease by cooling

and it will exert force on supporter

and my equation for solution contain avarege coefficient of linear expansion

not for compression ... understand me ?

The coefficient of expansion applies equally to the case of cooling/contraction.

1. What is the formula for calculating tension in a rod?

The formula for calculating tension in a rod is T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

2. How do I measure the force applied to a rod?

The force applied to a rod can be measured using a force gauge or a spring scale. The rod should be secured at one end and the force should be applied at the other end until it reaches the desired level.

3. Can the tension in a rod be negative?

No, the tension in a rod cannot be negative. Tension is a force that is always directed away from the object it is acting on. If the force is acting towards the object, it is considered compression rather than tension.

4. How does the length of the rod affect the tension?

The longer the rod, the greater the tension. This is because the force applied to the rod is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a higher tension.

5. What units are typically used to measure tension in a rod?

The most common unit for measuring tension is newtons (N). However, other units such as pounds (lbs) or dynes (dyn) may also be used, depending on the specific situation.