Finding Increase in Temperature for Two Rods

In summary, the steel rod expands more due to the raised temperature, while the aluminum rod does not change in length. There is a stress between the two rods due to their difference in length.
jfulky

Homework Statement

A steel rod and an aluminum rod of equal length and diameter are placed end to end and secured so that they cannot flex. The rods are heated to the same final temperature, and the steel is found to increase in length by one-tenth of a percent. If the total length of the rods together remains constant, find the increase in temperature for the rods and the mutual stress on the rods.

Ans: 375 oC , 700 MPa

Homework Equations

(RATE OF HEAT FLOW)
H = ΔT/R R = L/KA

(LINEAR HEAT EXPANSION)
ΔL = L0αΔT[/B]

(STRESS)
F/A = -YαΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for ΔT from the linear heat of expansion equation...

Lf(steel) - li(steel) = li(steel)*α*ΔT

1.001*Li(steel) - li(steel) = li(steel)*α*ΔT

0.001 = α*ΔT where α = 1.2 *10^-5

ΔT = 83.33 C

After I find this, I though I would then plug this into the Stress equation for a given metal since they have the same change in temperature. Though this is obviously not the correct answer.

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the change in the length of aluminium rod. Do you expect it to be the same as that of steel if they are not secured together? First calculate and then visualize.

jfulky said:

Homework Statement

A steel rod and an aluminum rod of equal length and diameter are placed end to end and secured so that they cannot flex. The rods are heated to the same final temperature, and the steel is found to increase in length by one-tenth of a percent. If the total length of the rods together remains constant, find the increase in temperature for the rods and the mutual stress on the rods.

Ans: 375 oC , 700 MPa

Homework Equations

(RATE OF HEAT FLOW)
H = ΔT/R R = L/KA

(LINEAR HEAT EXPANSION)
ΔL = L0αΔT[/B]

(STRESS)
F/A = -YαΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for ΔT from the linear heat of expansion equation...

Lf(steel) - li(steel) = li(steel)*α*ΔT

1.001*Li(steel) - li(steel) = li(steel)*α*ΔT

0.001 = α*ΔT where α = 1.2 *10^-5

ΔT = 83.33 C

After I find this, I though I would then plug this into the Stress equation for a given metal since they have the same change in temperature. Though this is obviously not the correct answer.

All I see are calculations for the steel rod. What happened to the aluminum rod?

Also, you need a formula which relates mechanical stress to axial deflection in a rod.

jfulky said:

Homework Statement

My guess is that you are missing a crucial piece of the statement of the question. I believe the idea is that the rods are clamped in such a way that overall length cannot change, as well as not being able to flex. Thus, the tendency to expand due to the raised temperature is exactly compensated by the compression of the rods due to the end loading.
You will need the Young's modulus of the materials, though it gets a bit messy since that may depend on the temperature, which you do not know yet. Perhaps it doesn't make enough difference to matter.

1. How do you measure the increase in temperature for two rods?

The increase in temperature for two rods can be measured using a thermometer. The thermometer should be placed on each rod, and the temperature should be recorded before and after the experiment. The difference between the two temperatures will indicate the increase in temperature for the two rods.

2. What factors can affect the increase in temperature for two rods?

There are several factors that can affect the increase in temperature for two rods. These include the material of the rods, the initial temperature of the rods, the duration of the experiment, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the rate of heat transfer between the rods can also impact the increase in temperature.

3. How can you control the increase in temperature for two rods?

To control the increase in temperature for two rods, it is important to keep all of the factors that can affect it constant. This means using rods made of the same material, starting with the same initial temperature, conducting the experiment for the same duration, and maintaining a consistent environment. Additionally, using insulating materials between the rods can help control the rate of heat transfer.

4. What is the purpose of finding the increase in temperature for two rods?

The purpose of finding the increase in temperature for two rods is to understand how heat is transferred between objects and how different factors can affect this transfer. This information can be applied in various industries, such as engineering and materials science, to design and improve efficient heat transfer systems.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting an experiment to find the increase in temperature for two rods?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be considered when conducting an experiment to find the increase in temperature for two rods. These include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling hot objects, and ensuring that the experiment is conducted in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for any chemicals used in the experiment.