Calculate the wavelength of an electron for a certain energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mitochondriaro
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Got a hmwk question here that asks to calculate λ of an electron with a certain amount of energy, and sadly couldn't figure it out. My solns manual does a fantastic job of regurgitating the formula:
E = P2 / 2m0​

to be used to get the numerical soln which is technically all I need but I'm an overachieving nerd and I have no idea how they derived this; I tried messing around with the energy-momentum formula but I still can't see it any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[URL="https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/when-did-mitochondria-evolve/ said:
mitochondria[/URL]ro, post: 4365896"]Got a hmwk question here that asks to calculate λ of an electron with a certain amount of energy, and sadly couldn't figure it out.

Hi mitochondriaro.

Sounds like you'd be looking for its De Broglie wavelength.
 
Last edited by a moderator: