Calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force

In summary: I got the right answer. All the workings were correct. I was not putting in the (-) sign before my answer. Came out to be -1250J.
Student3.41

Homework Statement

I have a few questions I need help with on my assignment. I cannot wrap my head around this work and energy chapter.

Anyway here it is;

A 62.7-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 25.2° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 8.22 m/s. After coasting 2.09 m up the slope, the skier has a speed of 3.20 m/s. Calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis

Homework Equations

W=Fd
Wtotal=1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD. Fn in the positive y-direction, mgcos(theta) in the negative y-direction, Fk and mgsin(theta) in the negative y-diretion.

WFN=0 ----> makes a 90deg angle with the direction.
Wmgcos(theta)=0

Wmgsin(theta)=Fd
=(mgsin25.2)(2.09m)
=(62.7kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.426)(2.09m)
=548J
WFk= ?

WTOT= 0+0+548+WFk = 1/2mVf^2-1/2mVi^2

=> 548J+WFk=321J-2120J
=> WFk=-1800J-548J=-2350J

I am using three sig digits for my calculations. The answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Student3.41! :smile:

(your equations would be easier to read ifyouleftsomespaces:wink:)
Student3.41 said:
WTOT= 0+0+548+WFk = 1/2mVf^2-1/2mVi^2

no, your LHS is positive, so your RHS should be positive also …

interchange Vf and Vi :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Student3.41! :smile:

(your equations would be easier to read ifyouleftsomespaces:wink:)

no, your LHS is positive, so your RHS should be positive also …

interchange Vf and Vi :redface:

OK, so interchange the values so;

545J+WK= 1/2mVi^2-1/2mVf^2

= 2120J-322J
=1780J

WK= 1780J-545J = 1240J

But this is wrong. Unless I am not understanding what you mean. Only have 3 more trys :O

Student3.41 said:
WK= 1780J-545J = 1240J

But this is wrong. Unless I am not understanding what you mean. Only have 3 more trys :O

isn't it 548, not 545?

tiny-tim said:
isn't it 548, not 545?

I re calculated my answer so I didn't take everything by 3 significant digits. Either way the answer comes out to be wrong.

Student3.41 said:
I re calculated my answer so I didn't take everything by 3 significant digits. Either way the answer comes out to be wrong.

Sorry, then I can't see what's wrong. :redface:

(btw, you should keep everything to at least 4 sig figs until the very end, and only then round off to 3 sig figs; and I made it 547.4)

tiny-tim said:
Sorry, then I can't see what's wrong. :redface:

(btw, you should keep everything to at least 4 sig figs until the very end, and only then round off to 3 sig figs; and I made it 547.4)

I am not sure if that will affect the answer, my prof usually gives us some room for error.

I am not sure either, maybe an error in the answer.

Isn't the Work of friction always -fk because Wfk = fkcos180d = fk(-1)d = -fkd?

Also, is there a need to move the 547.7 to the RHS?

I am also posting another problem if you can help with that! I have done all the calculations and its been driving me crazy.. Thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Yes, the work done by both friction and (in this case) gravity will be negative because those forces are in the opposite direction to the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=378"

I got the right answer. All the workings were correct. I was not putting in the (-) sign before my answer. Came out to be -1250J

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of work done by the kinetic frictional force?

The work done by the kinetic frictional force is the energy transferred from an object in motion to its surroundings due to the resistance of friction. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force by the distance over which it acts.

2. How is the kinetic frictional force calculated?

The kinetic frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N) between the two surfaces in contact. The formula is Fk = μkN.

3. What factors affect the work done by the kinetic frictional force?

The work done by the kinetic frictional force is affected by the coefficient of kinetic friction, the normal force between the surfaces, and the distance over which the force acts. It is also affected by the speed and surface area of the moving object.

4. How is the work done by the kinetic frictional force related to the object's motion?

The work done by the kinetic frictional force is always opposite to the direction of motion of the object. This means that as the object moves, the frictional force will act in the opposite direction, transferring energy and decreasing the object's speed.

5. Can the work done by the kinetic frictional force be negative?

Yes, the work done by the kinetic frictional force can be negative. This occurs when the force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy. It can also be zero if there is no motion or if the force and motion are perpendicular.