Calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Student3.41
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a few questions I need help with on my assignment. I cannot wrap my head around this work and energy chapter.

Anyway here it is;

A 62.7-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 25.2° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 8.22 m/s. After coasting 2.09 m up the slope, the skier has a speed of 3.20 m/s. Calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis

Homework Equations



W=Fd
Wtotal=1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2

The Attempt at a Solution



FBD. Fn in the positive y-direction, mgcos(theta) in the negative y-direction, Fk and mgsin(theta) in the negative y-diretion.

WFN=0 ----> makes a 90deg angle with the direction.
Wmgcos(theta)=0

Wmgsin(theta)=Fd
=(mgsin25.2)(2.09m)
=(62.7kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.426)(2.09m)
=548J
WFk= ?

WTOT= 0+0+548+WFk = 1/2mVf^2-1/2mVi^2

=> 548J+WFk=321J-2120J
=> WFk=-1800J-548J=-2350J

I am using three sig digits for my calculations. The answer is wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Student3.41! :smile:

(your equations would be easier to read ifyouleftsomespaces:wink:)
Student3.41 said:
WTOT= 0+0+548+WFk = 1/2mVf^2-1/2mVi^2

no, your LHS is positive, so your RHS should be positive also …

interchange Vf and Vi :redface:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Student3.41! :smile:

(your equations would be easier to read ifyouleftsomespaces:wink:)


no, your LHS is positive, so your RHS should be positive also …

interchange Vf and Vi :redface:

OK, so interchange the values so;

545J+WK= 1/2mVi^2-1/2mVf^2

= 2120J-322J
=1780J

WK= 1780J-545J = 1240J

But this is wrong. Unless I am not understanding what you mean. Only have 3 more trys :O
 
Student3.41 said:
WK= 1780J-545J = 1240J

But this is wrong. Unless I am not understanding what you mean. Only have 3 more trys :O

isn't it 548, not 545?
 
tiny-tim said:
isn't it 548, not 545?

I re calculated my answer so I didn't take everything by 3 significant digits. Either way the answer comes out to be wrong.
 
Student3.41 said:
I re calculated my answer so I didn't take everything by 3 significant digits. Either way the answer comes out to be wrong.

Sorry, then I can't see what's wrong. :redface:

(btw, you should keep everything to at least 4 sig figs until the very end, and only then round off to 3 sig figs; and I made it 547.4)
 
tiny-tim said:
Sorry, then I can't see what's wrong. :redface:

(btw, you should keep everything to at least 4 sig figs until the very end, and only then round off to 3 sig figs; and I made it 547.4)

I am not sure if that will affect the answer, my prof usually gives us some room for error.

I am not sure either, maybe an error in the answer.

Isn't the Work of friction always -fk because Wfk = fkcos180d = fk(-1)d = -fkd?

Also, is there a need to move the 547.7 to the RHS?

I am also posting another problem if you can help with that! I have done all the calculations and its been driving me crazy.. Thanks for the help :)
 
tiny-tim said:
Yes, the work done by both friction and (in this case) gravity will be negative because those forces are in the opposite direction to the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=378"

I got the right answer. All the workings were correct. I was not putting in the (-) sign before my answer. Came out to be -1250J
 
Last edited by a moderator: